Win XP Recovery Console

Status
Not open for further replies.

oumsu

Beta member
One of the windows files (pci.sys) is corrupted and windows ask me to run setup to repair the file.

When i entered the recovery console (by pressing R in the setup menu), what DOS command should i type at the DOS prompt (C:\windows>) in order to repair the corrupted file?

Here's the Microsoft Support KB Article for your problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q319136

It should be:

expand drive:\i386\pci.sy_ c:\winnt\system32\drivers /y

If you don't know the drive letter of the CD-ROM drive, type Map in the recovery console and hit enter to find out.

You'll need the Windows XP Setup Disc in the CD-ROM drive to repair the file, or have a copy of pci.sys to restore.

this helped someone else with your situation

boot to the recovery console on your xp cd and use the expand command to get the file and restore it to the c:\windows\system32\drivers folder.

bellow is the command (X being your cd drive letter)

expand X:\I386\*.cab -F:pci.sys C:\windows\system32\drivers

let me know if that helps

That should work for ya..if it doesnt and you want to try it manually then you can do this..assuming your D:\ is your cd-rom drive with the XP CD in it.

C:\>copy d:\i386\pci.sy_ c:\windows\system32 (ENTER)
C:\>del c:\windows\system32\pci.sys (ENTER) confirm yes
C:\>rename c:\windows\system32\pci.sy_ pci.sys (ENTER)

Hi. When i typed the command: "expand X:\I386\*.cab -F:pci.sys C:\windows\system32\drivers". It says "Copy does not support wildcard."

When i drop the wildcard and fix the pci.sys file, on restart, windows say another .sys file is corrupt. The process goes on a on - everytime after a .sys file has been fixed, another one is corrupted. How do i fix all the .sys files in one go?

jcortes said:
this helped someone else with your situation

boot to the recovery console on your xp cd and use the expand command to get the file and restore it to the c:\windows\system32\drivers folder.

bellow is the command (X being your cd drive letter)

expand X:\I386\*.cab -F:pci.sys C:\windows\system32\drivers

let me know if that helps

eww thats bad news..I would simply run a repair on the OS as this will fix them all in one shot for ya.

running a repair on the os will fix it. did you add any new hardware to your system when 'pci.sys' first got "corrupted"? (ram is included in the general hardware term)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom