Hello All

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarun444

Beta member
Hello Everyone,
I have a HP laptop( Hewlett Packard Pavilion zv5476cl P4 3.4Ghz 512MB 80GB ) with a built in card reader. I have been using a 256 mb SD card w/ no prob. I just got a 1 gig Kingston SD card and the laptop cannot read or format it. My camera can read it and also can format it. The 256mb card still works fine in laptop. Could it be that the laptop can only read cards up to a certain capacity??

So please suggest me
Tarun

The card may be formatted in a different way, as different brands of memory cards are made differently.

Are both the 256MB and 1GB cards the same brand?

Hello talldude,
The 256MB card is manufactured by San Disk and the 1 GB card is from Kingston. Do you think this might be one of the problem??

Thanks
Tarun

Usually SD card brands don't matter. Try looking into the device manager, or computer management storage volume area. Has the 256 meg card ever been formatted by your camera? Also, what type of camera is it? Some cameras (such as Flatfotos) will format the card with a proprietary filesystem. Others such as Canon will use a windows recognizable format (NTFS I think). Find a friend with a Powershot and have him format it, then give it a shot.

-:-Mitchell

hi MrFortissimo,
But my camera is Canon Powershot A430 digital camera. i have used the format option available in the camera. after which i used it in the laptop card reader. my computer identifies the external media device but it says that the memory chip is not formatted also do you want to format it. when i say yes it doesnt do anything.
thanks
tarun

Hello,

In my computer, try right clicking the drive for the memory card, clicking 'Format' and formatting the card to either FAT or FAT32.

It won't recognize if even after your camera formats the card? I'll be darned. The only thing I can think of is that maybe you should check for firmware/driver updates for the card reader (start at HP's website).

-:-Mitchell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom