slave HD, how does it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lancec2c30

Future ex-member
I have a lot of music on my computer (32 gig's) and wanted to just keep it on a seperate HD for my comp. Now I have to put in a second HD as a slave drive correct?

But do I have to install windows on it for it to be recognized by windows? I would want to reformat it also if it is from another existing computer correct?

And I know what refomratting is but have never done it. Isnt it in BIOS or is it a download??

Thanks,
Lance

Hi,

Yes correct you have to put the HD to slave because the one you have windows on is the master. You do not need to install any Operating System on it you just format it and when you boot from windows it will find it and you can put all the music in it.

Oh sorry forgot to tell you about formatting.

Since you aren't going to install windows on that drive you can format the drive drive directly from windows like you do to a floppy. Right click on the drive and you click format. Also if you try to access an unformatted drive from windows the windows will prompt you to do so.

when i put my slave drive in i just searched drivers for the name of the hard drive and downloaded drivers and installed them and that worked for me

lancec2c30 said:
I have a lot of music on my computer (32 gig's) and wanted to just keep it on a seperate HD for my comp. Now I have to put in a second HD as a slave drive correct?
IDE: Yes, you have to move the jumper to slave.
SATA: No
But do I have to install windows on it for it to be recognized by windows? I would want to reformat it also if it is from another existing computer correct?
No installation of windows is nessicary
Yes you might have to Partition and format the drive.
And I know what refomratting is but have never done it. Isnt it in BIOS or is it a download??
Thanks,
Lance

No it is not the bios, its a part of windows.

To partition and format goto RUN in the START menu,
type diskmgmt.msc, and just play around in there. Some times the drive is partitioned from the factory, usually its not formated. if your adding a harddrive it should be listed as disk1, and your current harddisk with windows on it should be disk0. If your not sure what is what ask(provide a screenshot of diskmgmt console) before you make changes.

ok isnt the jumper on the motherboard? I have seen something labeled jumper when doing stuff inside my case. do I just unplug it and reinsert it into anthoer pin that will alow a ide drive??

NOOOOOOOO, do NOT mess with the jumpers on the board you will fry something, you want to set the jumpers on the BACK of the HARD drive from Master to Slave.

Hey Sui, wouldn't you have to do that to a SATA as well, or are all SATA's considered Master drives?

o ok well I can see the HD through my case so I will take a look. If I were to get a sata 3.0gb/s would b it be compatible with my maxtor? its is a IDE I think.

I do not think they both can be used, I think if you use one SATA and one IDE they may freak out on one another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom