Will 98 update to Xp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont remember if I ran the test, but like I said on my dads comptuer, and on my laptop (which I can tell you is a P3 500Mhz wiht a 10Gb HD and I think 128 or 192 (64Mb on board + 128 ram module) it worked. It wasnt lighting fast, but it was usable for a secondary comptuer.

What are the specs of the machine your trying to put it on?

well he has stated that it failed the hardware test therefore i think he should begin to look in to what component failed the test and go about updating it.

alexsabree said:
Then it gave me a message stating that windows 98 is unable to upgrade to windows xp!!:eek:

It doesnt have anything to do with hardware.

This is his hardware setup:
Intergrated Video Chip:p
3x 186mb ram
Old server mobo
Pentium 3
12gb harddrive
(hes apparently not going to be using this for gaming, so no insults considering he is my greatgrandpa):eek:

Believe it or not, he uses the internet :D

if you did infact run the windows xp hardware compatibility test and it failed and you tried to install xp and that failed too it has everything to do with hardware.

no i havent installed it yet i really dont want to mess up his pc.
I just want to know if it would work if i boot up to the cd.

back up his data and try it you cand possibly permanently mess up the hard drive using the cd unless you like unplug it in the middle of formatting but as long as you delete all partitions create a new one format and install the os on to it it should work and if it doesnt and gives you errors then it is a hardware issue with out a doubt there is no denying that and you will then at that point need to find and upgrade the compontent causing the problem.

you could use a little more ram I reccomend atleast 384 mb and a 266mhz or more processor to use xp for basic tasks.

^ personally Id reccoment 512 :p

As far as performance, it will be slow, but usable.

alexsabree - As soon as you install XP, run tweaks to improve performance ( turning off menu efects, services, startup objects, etc.)

on a low end computer (esp with windows) getting it stripped down and maintaining it is key (keep it clean, scanned etc).

Also, later on, MS is releasing XP Fundamentals which is a pre-stripped down version of XP for older systems. I didnt think about that untill now, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom