Where to put washers on montherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

bomt697

In Runtime
Am building a new computer soon and I was never sure of where the washers go on the motherboard. Do they go on the bottom of the mobo or on top? Also are they really needed? I mean can I install everything without using the washers? thx a mill guys.

ps. try to stay cool.... its !@#$en hot this summer!!!!!

when you install the motherboard, I believe they go on top. Around the screw hole is a small circle that doesnt have any electrical contact. the nut that the screw screws into is definitly small enough to stay in this area. The screw head however, is bigger, adn thus to ad a bit more protection, plact the washer between it and the board so that its off the board a bit.

yea thats pretty much what am talking about. so they between the mobo and the head of the screw. cool thx. the part that messed me up is the metal on metal contact with the mobo and the screw that hold the mobo off the mobo case pannel, what about that?

Thats what the space around the hole is for, and since the standoff (nut) between the chassis and the motherboard has such a small surface area, it wont make contact outside of the protective ring around the hole. Its jsut a precaution for the screw head since its bigger and has a greater chance of making contact outside the circle and frying your board

they're not really needed, unless the screwhole isn't reinforced(which I've seen only once), or if theres something that would touch and short on the motherboard. They could also be used to isolate and absorb some vibrations that might come from the motherboard, but you'd have to use them on top and bottem for this effect. I doubt it'd make much of a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom