Will 98 update to Xp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexsabree

Fully Optimized
Ok i was trying to upgrade my friends computer to windows xp, then i went through its options and ran windows compatability software.

Then it gave me a message stating that windows 98 is unable to upgrade to windows xp!!:eek:

It gives the option to check the internet to fix the problem.. but he doesnt have internet:D

*I have internet, so if there is a solution on the web, i could give it to him via usb drive*

What am i supposed to do?

Do you HAVE to upgrade or can you reinstall? I installed XP on my dads on Win95 machine, works fine. I did it by booting to CD though, Win98 gave me the same error...

if you boot to the installation CD it should. I dont think that it looks for "system requirements" off the CD, I think thats a util it runs in windows before it allows you (or doesnt allow you) to install. I would format the dirve and then install XP. Just remember to back up your data 9music, papers, saved games!!)

What are the specs of the machine?

if the pc didnt pass the hardware compatibility test windows xp wont install and you need to find out what peace of hardware is causing the conflict.

I dont know if thats the case. Im SURE my laptop doesnt meet requirements for xp, but it runs it (albeit sluggish) better than it ran 98. I put linux on it last week tho which is MUCH smoother, but XP ran for a year or so...

P3 500
192 RAM
10 Gb HD

no im sure your just having a major conflict with some hardware part of the system he didnt have a major one because windows will install fine even if you have a peace on incompatible hardware but if its something major it will not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom