Workstation final parts check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
klevenskiy said:
Well I am not really able to get 2 whole PCs at the moment. But what about those 3D modeling video cards somebody suggested? What advantages do they have for 3D work over let's say the 7950gx2?

Also I am not really clear as to how can a server MoBo and my processors slow down my gaming. Its a SLI MoBo and the processors don't seem too slow either. Am I overlooking something?

quadro have drivers that enable some features that gives an advantages in 3d modeling. google video card for 3d modeling.

i would suggest getting a fire GL or quadro like the others said, then also bigger hard drives, if u plan on saving all this work and maby 2 moniters,

Don't waste your money on a FireGL or Quadro card unless you absolutely want to blow that sort of money and absolutely need stability. I can't comment on Quadro cards, but FireGL cards are simply other r520, r480 etc cores that have different drivers written for them and have a different memory bus bitrate. x1900XTX is still significantly faster than any "workstation" card and the additional pixel operations per cycle will be useful considering CAD or graphical development is heavily dependant on vertex shader operatons, which of course the r580 excels in

So really I would look into finding some modified drivers for consumer grade cards written with the intent of more precise operations, as really that is the only difference the two cards. You'll have a significantly more powerful GPU and in any situation you can simply switch between drivers depending on whether you want the GPU to render precision instructions within CAD and less crucial operations in prewritten engines

I'm also fairly positive you want ECC compliant memory, and you don't need memory sinks

Thanx for quick and full replies.

I have one more question though. If simply getting one powerful CPU is cheaper and in some instances even more effective than getting a dual CPU system (as somebody pointed out above) then why do people still do that? In other words, what are the benefits of the dual CPU system over a single, but powerful CPU?

Edit: also can you explain better about the ECC compliant memory? I am not familiar with that.

well my uncle does hard core multi tasking at work with large programs like cad. but his computer is a little out of date at work, so I dont know many people who do that. And since single cpu systems have gotten so much faster it is not much of an advantage.

and becuase you are in game desing and TESTING you need a rig that can play state of the art games using newer engines etc.

what used to be the advantage of dual cpu systems was multi tasking. But the high end dual cores like top line conores basically match and exceed dual cpu systems performance.

If he affinities the programs (video game) to a single core won't it function as if it was one computer theoretically?

like I said CONROE!!!!!! Dude get like the fastest one and liquid cool your system. not only will it be crazy fast but with the OC's you would get on water would make some awsome bragging rights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom