Am2/939?

Status
Not open for further replies.

manonfire

Solid State Member
I've been operating on a really crappy (5+ years old) system for a long time but I recently got a job waiting tables and make a lot in tips, which I plan to be putting into a high-end system for myself. My friends aren't really into computers for the most part so I thought I'd come try here :D

I know little about building computers but I've heard that the AMD AM2 socket is going to be the new standard for AMD processors, as 939 has been in the past years. Right now I'm running on a 939 mainboard, and I've been wondering whether I should go ahead and buy a AM2 mainboard to base my new system on. I'd like to have a system that'll last a while before I have to upgrade it again, so I don't want to be stuck on a dying chipset...but it seems the AM2 processors available are freakishly expensive, whereas the AMD 939 processors are ridiculously cheap; I had my eye on a 939 Athlon64 X2 4200+, which is something like 180 dollars on newegg.

Any help will be appreciated.

ok well its kinda up to you...

Basically they have stopped with 939 and they wont be producing anymore CPU's for it.

What CPU are you running now?

If you like you could just buy that 4200 you were talking about and shove it in your 939 board you have now so you can save more money and get a better system.

If I were you Id go with AM2.

Right now I have an Athlon64 3000+. The system I'm running on now is actually my brother's computer which he's letting me use while he's at college and I'm saving money for my own.

Do you want a high end computer for gaming and overclocking etc? or are you only gonna need it for avarge gaming and stuff like that [nothing extreme...] and..Whats your budget?

wait wait wait, your thinking of upgrading your brothers computer or building your own? If thats the case then you'd be stupid to upgrade his computer, cause whats he gonna say when he comes back... thanks?

Yoad: yeah the computer will be for gaming, I'm hoping to play Crysis when it comes out. My budget is somewhere in the $1500 dollar range (hoping to have the computer finished soon, if I were to wait 2-3 months I could have maybe $2500 tops.)

Sui: hah, no. The computer I'm building will be mine. He's letting me use his 'till I build my own.

I guess I am leaning more towards AM2 now. When I first starting scouting around it looked like the AM2 processors were really expensive but I guess I was wrong. Thanks for the advice.

Ohh, very well, that budget is really good! Do you also need to get a monitor in that budget though? if so its a little tight but still can manage to build quite a nice computer.

If you can wait for those 2-3 months and save up, by then you could get a very good conroe motherboard with an intel conroe CPU [which are superior by 5 to 15% over the AMDs if you compare one cpu to his equal on the other company(to intels side)] and along with that, a higher end video card [DX10 probably, or one of the highest DX9 cards for cheap]

If you can't wait those 2-3 months and save up then get the AM2 asap... though before I start suggesting parts here I need to know, 1500$ including the mice, keyboard, speakers, monitor and other peripherals? Or just the computer..

-Jo.

ya, yoad asked the right questions. just tower or whole shabang?

i don't think socket AM2 will have a lifespan close to that of socket 939, but its still better, since i hear AM3 cpus will be compatible with it. if its just the tower that you need, then $1500 is good enough and i would build just now... if you need monitor and everything, then i guess waiting a month or two till you get more funds wouldn't hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom