leaving PC on for long period.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammytheman

In Runtime
Hey fellas I am downloading a couple of games from this site. However it says 8 days left!!! Now what I was wondering what are the negative effects on my rig if I leave my PC on for 8 days. Thanx!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think there are any horrible effects of leaving it on for 8 days.

When i was on dial up, i used to leave my computer on for days at a time too. i never experienced any problems. I would shut off the monitor to save power.

the room with the computer in it was warmer than the other rooms.

Other than that, i had no issues. :)

By the way, just how big is this file that is going to take 8 days to download? I usually try to reconnect and get a better connection speed if it's going to take more than an hour.

it should be OK, I have had mine on for last 4 days downloading a 10+ GB file. :D and I still have 2 GB to go!:confused:

It'll be fine. I know of people who have left their computer on for months and not had a problem. Every now and then (if you use programs that use lots of memory), you'll have to reboot to clear the memory.

I leave all of my PC's on 24/7 always (laptop as well) it will not adversly effect your PC in a negative, I belive it is good for computers to be left on all the time (apart from the elec cost)

nah no adversery effect
in fact in laptops, never shuting down is supposed to be good for the battery (like not making it last longer) but it does mean it will take alot longer for it to die

U should be fine I havn't turned mine off since the end of june to upgrade video card

servers run for years at a time with out ever getting turned off, and servers are pretty much the same as a home pc's hardware wise. there are servers with p4's and sata hard drives which is a regular computer and they are fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom