HD DVD or Blue-ray on your comp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow, i'm surprised too.

i was totally backing up blu-ray... but then again.. as the reviewer mentioned, the samsung player is the only blu-ray player out there right now and some problems he reckons are due to the player itself and not the movies/format.

still too early to tell. also, HD-DVD don't have a true HD player out yet... but that can only mean its gonna get better for HD-DVD!

hopefully in a couple of months we'll be able to decide on a winner

DVD-RW.

Honestly both formats lack what drives change: new functionality.

There have been plenty of new formats for audio, but because none of them added any functionality, noone has switched. The same will happen with the new video disc formats. While the storage capacity and quality of video have increased, it doesn't add anything that is radically new. We already have 4-disc dvd sets, the new formats might fit it on one, but the fact remains that it's still the same product. Lots of people are very happy with their dvds and brand and competition wars will ultimatly cause both to fail.

Sorry for the rant, but yeah all the marketing is false hype for something that doesn't significantly improve DVDs.

zdude, there are currently no high definition DVDs. the world is moving from standard definition to high definition.. by the year 2010, i believe all US broadcasts will HAVE to be in high definition. currently, if you want to store a high definition movie on a dvd, you'll have to do it on 10 dvds... obviously not practical. hd dvd and blu ray ARE the way of the future, we just don't knwo which one will be the dominant. i have a high definition TV, and i don't really like to watch DVDs because they dont' look nearly as good as high definition stuff i see from my cable network.. and i personally can't wait till this new tech. drops in price so i can grab one.

I used to agree with zdude untill a week ago when I walked into a Tweeter store and saw a demo of a movie playing on Blu-Ray. It really is noticeably more detailed and higher quality image than DVD's, even to someone who doesnt know what to look for.

because DVDs are single/enhanced definiiton (480i/p) while blu ray and hd dvd are high definition! trust me, there's a huge difference. sharper/smoother picture!

Blu ray will win the war becasue of capacity. There are plenty of people out there with big wallets and give it some time and the drives will be more reliable and quicker. HD DVD'S will lack space.

ONLY TIME WILL TELL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom