overclocking my AM2 X2 4200 Windsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jordo_99

Daemon Poster
How much could i overclock my AM2 X2 4200 (Windsor)?

i've got the Zalman CNPS9500 heatsink (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118223)

also i've got Artic Silver 5 on my CPU.

running on a Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe MOBO w/ 2 GB Corsair XMS PC6400/DDR2 800 RAM how far do you think i could overclock this w/ 100% stability.

This will mark as my first overclocking experience so i'm very cautious about this. i was previously looking into getting a X2 3800 Manchester and heard people getting close to 2.8 Ghz w/o water cooling.

I can only assume that the 4200 can do around 3 Ghz w/o water cooling and that's my current expectation (though i'll only go to 2.8 for a while and then if i need/want overclock more)

*my computer is in my sig for any other questions*

i could only get mine to 2.8 for a while, and it wasnt totally stable, so 2.75 was perfect. that was at a little less than 1.59 volts too, all on air(golden orb)

R1C0CH3T said:
i could only get mine to 2.8 for a while, and it wasnt totally stable, so 2.75 was perfect. that was at a little less than 1.59 volts too, all on air(golden orb)

really? i guess i overestimated it a little. BTW what does golden orb mean? is that ur heatsink or what? thanks by the way. that helps.

Not only it depends on the CPU and the cooling solution, you need to have a good ram to keep up with the CPU's FSB, or in youre case [AMD x2's] the CPU's HTT's speed.

With a good, high speed & low latencies RAM [like, Mushkin XP2-6400 or Team Xtreeme RAM DDR 1066Mhz etc] you can reach 2.9, and even pass the 3GHz barrier and be pretty stable...

-Jo.

Yoad said:
Not only it depends on the CPU and the cooling solution, you need to have a good ram to keep up with the CPU's FSB, or in youre case [AMD x2's] the CPU's HTT's speed.

With a good, high speed & low latencies RAM [like, Mushkin XP2-6400 or Team Xtreeme RAM DDR 1066Mhz etc] you can reach 2.9, and even pass the 3GHz barrier and be pretty stable...

-Jo.

i've got "2 GB Corsair XMS PC6400/DDR2 800" for RAM the latency is either 5-5-5-15 or 5-5-5-12. i'm not sure which one.

would that be good? i know that when i was looking for RAM at newegg the lowest latency i found for DDR2-800 was 4-4-4-something.

thanks

the Mushkin ones are very good, the Corsair XMS 2 are also very good overclockers, but only the #4 cas latencies, the #5 cas latencies won't do so good because even at their native speed their latencies are as loosen up as it can be [unless you wish to run a computer with 5-7-7-24[or 30] cas latencies lol...]

But you can give it a shot it might just work well..... :) .

I just recived my Corsair XMS2 Twin2X2046-6400C4 [4-4-4-12] and I will be putting it in a similar rig, i'll tell you how well it overclocked once its all here[Will take a while though, that computer will only be up and running in August 25'th+]

-Jo.

Yoad said:
the Mushkin ones are very good, the Corsair XMS 2 are also very good overclockers, but only the #4 cas latencies, the #5 cas latencies won't do so good because even at their native speed their latencies are as loosen up as it can be [unless you wish to run a computer with 5-7-7-24[or 30] cas latencies lol...]

But you can give it a shot it might just work well..... :) .

I just recived my Corsair XMS2 Twin2X2046-6400C4 [4-4-4-12] and I will be putting it in a similar rig, i'll tell you how well it overclocked once its all here[Will take a while though, that computer will only be up and running in August 25'th+]

-Jo.

alright thanks, yeah that'd be good to know if it works for you. and also thanks for the latency info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom