make my computer quieter? how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

COD2_fanatic

Daemon Poster
ok, to start off i have no idea if this is in the right place but it's the only area i could figure would relate to my question.

I've noticed my computer being quite lound in the last few months and it has began to get annoying, I just replaced my case with a Centurion 5 :)D ) case, but the noise levels are still annoying but not as bad, i've noticed that my CPU HSF (on an Opty 144) is not that loud as well as the fans that came with the case, BUT my GPU fan (XFX 6600GT AGP) has increasingly gotten louder since i received it for my birthday. is there any possible ways to quitet down my computer? it would be nice since i sleep like right by it and leave it on all night (usually).

I should note that as soon as i get the money i will be replacing the motherboard and the video card *(heres the links if you want to know what they are)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814125028

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813136164

i will also be getting a new hard drive since the 2 old ones i have are passed there prime, can someone reccommend a good quiet one that has atleast 160Gigs?

thanks for the help

well get a zalman aftermakrek GPU cooler, I think that will quite it down.

for a HD I would look into a like 250gig WD caviaer or how ever it is spelled. I think they are quite.

also on the gpu cooler you could just transfere it to your new card once you get it.

I would get a better video card and just a quiet cooler like the zalman vf-700 or something.

Also the stock AMD fan IS pretty loud....get a Zalman for that too. :)

Seagate Barracudas are very nice, quiet drives. My 120mm fan makes more noise than it, even when accessing large programs (ie. HL2). Heck, i have three of them, and even under load my 120mm fan makes more noise! Western Digital Caviar drives are good (once again, my 3 Seagate drives and one WD drive make less noise than my fans), but if you get a bad one and have to RMA it, WD sends you a refurbished one, not a new one. A new thread just popped up and that happened.

Also, for general purpose sound damping, you can buy high density foam and it should help. You can attach it with double-sided tape to the side panel (if you don't have a window).

I suggest not going Gigabyte with the GPU. Go XFX or, even better, EVGA.

no i don't have a window, the one on my first case turned me off on that, don't the zalman coolers have fans? I know i'll have to have a fan on the CPU but the GPU's can run fannless, isn't the gigabyte stock good?

and i'll have to look at the seagates, i've found them to be reliable (the 2 i have now are seagates)

and on the CPU side i have been looking at the Arctice Freezer Pro 64, if this isn't a good choice what would be a good zalman thats reasonably priced? and aonther thought on the GPU thing, i heard that there are few comatable coolers for my type of card is this true?

I think the Freezer 64 is perfect, and would definately get a card with a AC cooler on it. A X850 would kill the 7600 (I have 2 of them) and the 6600 and would be practically silent (16 pipes and 256 bit mem too) and help to cool down the case as well.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814161134R

this is a much better card than the 7600GS(buy itself) and is almost as quiet.
The HIS cards that are IceQ II turbo have better memort than the other cards (cause of the better coolers)

Also like lancec2c30 said the WD HDDs are very good. I have the 160 gig versions but I think the 250 gig version is only a couple dollars more.

PS- Ur case rules!:cool:

thanks for the info but i've never been much of an ATI fan.....

just to ask, i play Dawn of War, CS:Source, and a few other games, although i should notice a preformance increase i'm still weery about ATI, is ther much i should know about them?

They kick ***!

I have 2 7600GS in SLI and they work fine. But the X800/ 850 series of cards are gonna go down in history as something special.

You wanted quiet, the Freezer and a HIS card is gonna be real quiet.

As to the "never been a ATI fan" thats silly. Almost every review says the ATI is superior. Yes the Nvidia cards are good too, but if you are gonna try and tell me ATI is no good Im gonna have to laugh at your ignorance.

For the money there is nothing close. Now if ur going SLI than the 7600GS is cool. But since they are releasing DX-10 soon and it will need a different Video Card I wouldnt recommend spending a lot. Thats why the X850 is so cool, its only $129. I think they used to be around $500.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom