DVI connection to Component converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Him

Fully Optimized
So I got a new TV, 32" HD, and I'm looking to use that as my computer monitor, seeing I'm going to be making my machine into a Media Center. My TV, however, does not have a DVI or VGA input, only component and S-video, and I dont want to use S-video, namely due to the lack in quality. I would like to go component, but since my card does not have component, I'm forced to do S-video, or get a converter. I've seen converters around, but I'm apprehensive, due to the extreme possibility of quality loss. How much quality loss is entailed, and can someone point me in the direction of a good converter? The only ones I've found thus far, strangely, are all made to work with only ATI chipsets, and that ****es me off, since I have an NVIDIA. Someone point me in the right direction?

And pleaes dont be a wise-*** and tell me to go ATI, thats been tired.

So here's what I found out concerning the DVI to Component adapters, connected to a video card on a computer, for the people who are interested. The video card has to be able to support composite out, so that there is a signal for the adapter to split into 3 for the composite cables. Most ATI Radeon cards (Past the 9500) and newer seem to all support this, which is you would find those adapters sold at Newegg that only work for ATI. My card (6600GT), according to eVGA, supports composite out via the DVI port, so I went ahead and ordered an adapter, which should arrive shortly. I believe that now most NVidia cards (6600GT and up) support composite out, as well as a select number of older ones, pre-6600. All of the 7xxx series supports this. But you should check with your grapihcs card manufacturer if you are going to do this. On the eVGA website, in the knowledge base, there is a list of what cards support composite out, and through which port it is that has the signal.

Here's to my adapter working.

Here is some other information regarding the whold HD thing.

S-video is not capable of HD, and other than that, is really not that good of quality. If you are looking to output to an HDTV via the S-video connection, dont be expecting it to work in HD.

There are two types of DVI connections that a computer will use, DVI-D and DVI-I. DVI-D is purely a digital signal, and will not work if it is connected to an analog television, which are far more common than you think. The DVI-I ports are capable of both digital and analog signals. If you are going to a digital DVI port on a TV, you get a DVI-I cable to a DVI-D cable, and the cable will completely ignore the analog signal and use the digital one.

Does this make sense? If anyone has questions, let me know.

In your second post did you mean component instead of composite? Because composite is not HD. You should have got a tv that supports HDMI. Much better quality.

Yeah, I meant Component, I changed it. And yes, I know about HDMI. But because my television was discontinued, I got it, brand new, for $400 from Cambridge Soundworks at some massive warehouse sale. The television came out like a two years before HDMI, since HDMI just came out. So, I got a $1400 television for $400... I can sacrifice.

Him said:
So here's what I found out concerning the DVI to Component adapters, connected to a video card on a computer, for the people who are interested. The video card has to be able to support composite out, so that there is a signal for the adapter to split into 3 for the composite cables. Most ATI Radeon cards (Past the 9500) and newer seem to all support this, which is you would find those adapters sold at Newegg that only work for ATI. My card (6600GT), according to eVGA, supports composite out via the DVI port, so I went ahead and ordered an adapter, which should arrive shortly. I believe that now most NVidia cards (6600GT and up) support composite out, as well as a select number of older ones, pre-6600. All of the 7xxx series supports this. But you should check with your grapihcs card manufacturer if you are going to do this. On the eVGA website, in the knowledge base, there is a list of what cards support composite out, and through which port it is that has the signal.

Here's to my adapter working.

Or he could simply purchase a transcoder - an external device which can "switch" or transcode DVI input into Component output and connect the component output into his television ...

Click Here for More Info

Or simply googe the search terms "DVI components transcoder"

A caveat, if you go this route, I'd recommend using something like Powerstrip which allows you to adjust the screen ratio, color depth, and resolution of the graphics card to match the timings/settings of your HDTV display.

Him said:
Yeah, I meant Component, I changed it. And yes, I know about HDMI. But because my television was discontinued, I got it, brand new, for $400 from Cambridge Soundworks at some massive warehouse sale. The television came out like a two years before HDMI, since HDMI just came out. So, I got a $1400 television for $400... I can sacrifice.
Wow thats a good deal. What brand was it?

jmhill1976 said:
Or he could simply purchase a transcoder - an external device which can "switch" or transcode DVI input into Component output and connect the component output into his television ...

Click Here for More Info

Or simply googe the search terms "DVI components transcoder"

A caveat, if you go this route, I'd recommend using something like Powerstrip which allows you to adjust the screen ratio, color depth, and resolution of the graphics card to match the timings/settings of your HDTV display.

You could purchase a transcoder for $100, OR you can spend another $50 and get a better video card, which at the same time supports composite output via DVI.

When hooking a television to a computer as to use it as a monitor, you should use Powerstrip regardless of the connection to ensure the best quality possible.

Originally posted by zero88
Wow thats a good deal. What brand was it?

It was a Samsung TMX-3297HF. 32" HDTV. http://www.audioreview.com/cat/televisions/CRT/samsung/PRD_143118_5851crx.aspx

The review said $950, but Cambridge Soudworks said $1400.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom