what should i get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

00xtreme

Solid State Member
Ok, I'm looking to build my first computer and I come to you all for help. I'm not a heavy gamer but I do some photo and video editing, and I do want a fast computer for everyday use. I am very proficient with the software side of computers but not so much with the hardware. I know all the parts I need, just not the actual model or brand. First off, what are some good brands and brands to stay away from? Also I would like mostly mid grade parts, I may spring for higher priced stuff on certain items though. So if you could post up good brands and price ranges for each part, or even post up links to parts that would be great. I appreciate the help, thanks.

Budget?

Generally with PSUs Antec is one of the best

Hard drives I would go with Seagate myself

RAM is a tossup between Corsair and OCZ

Video cards are xfx, bfg, or eVGA (couple others)

Cases the popular ones are thermaltake, I myself have an X-Alien

Processor these days for Cutting-Edge are Core 2 Duos, for still standard would be AMD or AM2 (if you do not want to spend a fortune on the Mobo and RAM)

Mobos are generally ASUS or some other brand (I like ASUS myself)

Sound cards are generally onboard, do not know many people who go spending cash on actual cards.

I think that is about it, if I missed something someone will catch it =)

Also, those are not all of the brands, just the ones I have personal experience with/are told are fabulous.

If you want mid grade...then I would suggest something along theselines:

Athlon 46 3800 X2 Socket 939 / AM2 4000 X2
MSI / ASUS / Abit Mobo
Corsair Valueselect ram (2x1gb) DDR400 (Socket 939 and DDR2 AM2 mobos)
Antec 450-550W PSU (This you want to spend a little more on)
Western Digital / Seagate Hard drive
Nvidia 7600 / ATI X1600 video card
Some kind of dvd burner (Sony / NEC / Pioneer)
Floppy
and a case you like...BUT with decent cooling...at least 2 fans or more (1/2 in front; 1/2 in back... maybe a top blow hole)
a mid range like this can run 600-800 depending on the part...sometimes cheaper if you find sale/bundle deals

thanks for the input guys, i'll start looking into some of those later on tonight

wow..tha ati x1600 is a good vid card huh!? 512mb for only $180.. that's great.. i hope i could still squeeze some money to get it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom