Is it true?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanP

Baseband Member
I read somewhere that if you install windows xp on a hard-drive and then transfer the hard drive it wont work, is this true?

Hello,

You mean transfer the drive to another PC?

It does work, I've done it many times between my PCs.

...However, problems can arise when chipset drivers and hardware drivers that are installed on that specific hard drive cause a conflict because obviously, the hardware is no longer there in the new machine. You might then experience BSOD after POST and occasions where the system refuses to boot into Windows.

It's strongly not advised, because the particular copy of Windows will not have the required drivers, and or be configured to operate optimally in that machine (for example, it may have less RAM and a different GPU).

Yeah, i mean as if i installed windows xp on my hard-drive and then stuck it in another computer

I would advise against it. As stated if you dont have any like components then you will experience a BSOD after POST. Cause it will be looking for certain hardware and that to start up that isnt there.

This is espically bad if you install it on a Intel System and then try to transfer it to a AMD system.

If you have alot of like components and specs like RAM< CPU then it might work.

you can do that, but if you get a blue screen, just run a windows repair which will install the needed HAL layer for the new systems hardware which causes the blue screen.

Well i tried to har-drives in the machine to test it and i kept getting the blue screen of death, then i run chkdsk / r half way through it crashed!

you have to do what i said, stick the hard drive in and run a windows repair so it puts in the HAL(hardware abstration layer) for your new hardware. check disk wont fix it, nothing will execpt a fresh install or a windows repair which works cuz i have done it many times for the systems at my job when i need to make images with different hard ware and i dont feel like installing every program on each platform.

If i do go into the repair consol and repair it will any of the data be lost?

You dont run the repair from the repair console..just act like you are doing a new install.. at one point it will scan your computer for previous versions of XP and will detect the current install and ask if you want to repair it. At that point you push "R" to run the repair process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom