CPU capped!

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldfriez

Beta member
Hello all!

I have a HP:( and its cpu is clocked at 2.8ghz but its default setting is 3.6ghz. Is there a way to un-capp it?

Your BIOS will probally be locked out, but if it isn't times the BUS speed until you get 3.6ghz and up the multiplier to that.

So to unlock it i have to overclock it to that speed? Theres no way to lift the capp off?

Sounds very odd, I don't think overclocking is an ideal solution, esp with a retail system as the RAM probably wont take it (unless you can run a RAM divider).

When you say its capped... are you sure? runn a process in the background like prime95 then look and see what the speed is. it might just be that the CPU is being throttled down when not under load.

Its not overclocking in the sense of increasing CPU speed. It will not increase the RAM speed, but the multiplier between the bus and CPU. If your CPU is really a 3.6ghz and you increase it from that then it will run with out a problem.

It could also be throttling to save power. You can also turn this off in the BIOS.

I thought the muliplier was locked on all modern CPUs apart from AMDs FX Chips?

Some are not. Some can go lower, depends what model his is. I think (do not quote me on this) 478 can go down. I've seen on locked ones. Also Intel might make special ones for HP/Dell which can go down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom