Need some help w/ budget Rig #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syrillian

In Runtime
Hi!

I have pieced together another Rig from spare parts and an AMD Sempron 2800 / MSI K8MM-V MoBo.

I am using one of my old HDD's (80GB Western Digital) that my old Windows XP O/S is on. PSU is an Antec TruePower 430, Optical drive is a Samsung DVD combo drive and RAM is some cheap PC3200,256MB.

I think that I am not supposed to re-use an O/S in another PC and that Microsoft has us by the nads. Before I call their Tech Support does anyone have any comments?

I did power on the Rig and was able to get to the BIOS, but no further. At one point I attempted to use my new O/S disk to boot from but I got a blue screen that states that Windows has encountered a problem and is shutting down to prevent damage. I think that what it really means is, "You cheating ******* you are not supposed to try this as it is a copyright infringement." There is a long string of characters in sets of parenthesis and some "x"'s.

Does anyone have any suggestions (preferably ones that will not send some lackey to knock on my door)?

Thanks for your time.

Hi Syrillian,

I am pleased to see you are avoiding copy infringement. I recommend one of three things.

1) Buy an additional serial number from Microsoft. (Around 50 bucks or so.)

2) Or you can really have some fun by installing Linux instead! It's not incredibly user-friendly and doesn't support much 3rd party software but it's free and a learning experience.

3) See if a friend has a multi-user XP disc. As long as they have an available user, you can use it completely legally!

Let me know what you did!

just do a repair install of windows.. i hear that might work.

don't know how the copyright rules work exactly.. but if the copy of windows you had on the old computer was totally legit, and you're moving some components over to a new rig, and the copy of windows is only gonna be used on that one computer, i say its legit. i donno if technically it is or not, but i wouldn't let MS screw me over some technicality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom