Fan on the Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
you can allways replace it check the page where it explains with pictures how
here
you gonna need to use some epoxy please check everything before doing it

noooo dont put a heatsink on it. Some motherboards have fans and some have heatsinks. They have a reason they have fan/heatsink becuase some create more heat and some create less. If i am correct, isan't the fan on the heatsink? Take the fan off, then look on the back of it or w/e and see how big it is. See if u can find the size of a fan but just a different brand. Or... you know what u can do. You can call up ASUS and they can replace the fan for free.

i recomend that you take the noisy fan out and try to get a new matching fan but if you cant that page has some sugestions
" please read all and make sure you understand"
it was not a problem with heat it was just noise so dont jump into upgradeing the fan just try to match a replacement

Thanks guys, I have ordered a replacement fan. Is there any way in measuring the heat coming off the northbridge chip, so in the future I could replace the fan with a heatsink?

My setup is pretty noisy, and the reason I am getting interested in fiddling around in the inside is to quieten it down somewhat. I have looked into CPU heatsinks (The Zalman ones in particular), but I obviously don't want to fry anything.

I am not bothered at all with overclocking/benchmarking etc.

Any suggestions?

well... i mean like i said before... the fan is there for a reason. the northbridge makes more heat on some mobos then others. Mine has a heatsink. Some have fans. So i woulden't take off the fan and put a heatsink on it.

Monster00 said:
well... i mean like i said before... the fan is there for a reason. the northbridge makes more heat on some mobos then others. Mine has a heatsink. Some have fans. So i woulden't take off the fan and put a heatsink on it.

I don't mean to start a flame war. Just express my opinion...

I just installed yesterday a NB heatsink (Zalman ZM-NB47J) on my server's mobo (A7V133, same as discussed here). In my case, the 40mm fan wasn't that "noisy", (read: tornado) but still, since the server's on 24/7, I just wanted to shut up its whinning. So far, I haven't noticed BIG temperature improvements, but it's usually between 2-3Celcius lower and the same temps as before. (idle and load (F@H + downloading, Sandra, etc.)). And that's only without proper airflow, since I'm currently in the process of building a brand new case, the server being "naked".

Then again, I didn't buy this to chill my NB to death. PC isn't overclocked, and was fine with stock cooling. My ears weren't. As long as it cools at least as well as my previous fan, I'm satisfied. The Zalman's been up to my expectations, plus it's as silent as a rock. :p

Pic1

Pic2

I pretty much understand your opinion though, Monster. I wouldn't recommend a cheap-end NB heatsink!!! (got the Zalman for 5$can :D though!) Then again, my new A7N8X-E DX has only a heatsink on its nb, compared to the weird box fan on my 2 year-old A7V133. Which one needs more cooling???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom