Siren sound! Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

azrael

Solid State Member
hello, i recently built a computer for someone I know, and it was working flawlessly, installed windows, drivers, etc. No problems at all! Then, my girlfriend wanted me to set up her computer where the other computer was plugged in, and when I moved the computer to the other side of the room and plugged it in, all of a sudden, it doesn't work at all! Nothing I've tried helps - resetting the battery, switching the ram, video cards, removing all pci cards, ide/floppy drives, etc.. It shows nothing on the monitor, and just beeps at me. I've never heard a computer beep like this before, and I know about debugging problems based on how many beeps, how long, etc, as I am A+ certified. The computer beeps in two alternating tones, high and low, and sounds like some sort of siren is going off. WTF?! Any help would be greatly appreciated! The person is starting to get ****ed off and I can't figure it out.

I don't get it; you said you just move this computer to another place than it just went crazy on you. That doesnÂ’t really make any sense to me either. Before you move it, was it already working? Did you use anything different at this other place, like power cables, monitor, keyboard, etc? Did you assume it didnÂ’t work and than went diagnostic and cause even more damage and spur up another problem?

Try listing system spec if you could.

yes everything was working. believe me if it were that simple I would have fixed it already. Identical power cables, etc. Everything the same, I am very experienced with this kind of thing, I just want to know what would make a computer beep like a siren. I will find out the specs but it shouldn't matter at all, I just want to know what would make it beep like that. I've never heard of that before. If you don't know either, than I don't think you can help me. Maybe someone else out there has had experience with this type of beeping. It doesn't make sense. Believe me I am not an idiot, I don't assume things and break things. I do everything in a systematic manner

did you try moving it back to the original plug? maybe the new outlet is on a circuit that is drawing too much power and doesnt have enough left to power the comptuer fully.

Try the system in a couple other outlets and let us know what happens. This way you can be sure its a problem with the computer and not something else.

no you don't understand - I've brought it right back to its original spot already, plugged into the same power bar, keyboard, mouse, and monitor as another computer that is set up there, that is working fine - doesn't help at all.

Just to let you know I'm not assuming you're an idiot or anything, it's just hard to diagnose a problem over a forum and we do have to ask questions to get a better understanding. ItÂ’s easier to expect the obvious.

Anyways, here’s what I think with the beep you are describing. If it sounds like a “siren” hi-low beep it usually indicates that the CPU is overheating.

I appreciate that, thank you. Do you think maybe something is wrong with the processor? The cpu fan is working fine, and I would imagine that it would take at least some time for the cpu to heat up that much, and it beeps like this 5 seconds after turning it on. Maybe something is physically wrong with the processor? Thanks for your thoughts, I really appreciate your help

So the computer works fine but it's just the siren beep that troubles you?

What's the temperature reading for the CPU in BIOS (if there's such a setting for the motherboard)? Do you have adequate cooling in the system case? I would try switching the CPU fan and applying new thermal paste just incase.

The computer doesn't work at all - no video output or anything, so I can't even access the bios. All it does is beep like that, which leads me to believe that something is perhaps seriously wrong with the processor, but it just doesn't make sense to me, because all I did was move it two feet.

Have you tried to reseat the CPU? Take out, examine it, add some thermal paste if you have some, try switching the CPU fan also if you have a spare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom