computer freezing..very odd..completely stumped help please!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexjbriggs

Beta member
hey everyone...heres my deal, hope someone has an idea.

friend gave me computer to fix..played around with it...wouldnt turn on..figured it may be the cmos battery...so i took the battery out of mine to test in there...didnt work...thought it may be psu...tried same thing, didnt work turned out motherboard was fried. anywho..put everything back into my computer...now when i turn my computer, itll freeze after anywhere from 5 mins to an hour. i have an MIS motherboard, running xp...radeon 9700 pro, and sound blaster 100 sound card. when i turned my computer on, it popped up with new hardware found for the soundcard...i thought it might be that they were using the same IRQ, so i took out the sound card...reformatted the computer...set everything back to normal, still nothing. drivers for the radeon are fine. any one have any ideas? im usually able to figure most anything out...this one has me stumped.

thanks for the help!

RAM should be fine. i took both out and tried sticks that i know are working. still nothing. not overheating. 4 fans all working. temp doesnt exceed 40C

You plugged your PSU into a fried mobo, you might want to check the PSU. It sounds stupid but I have somehow screwed up my last PSU when I plugged it into an ASUS board with a fried chipset. It makes the computer act real weird.

thanks for the ideas. i actually had that idea too at first.

i finally figured it out. radeon 9700 has issues with my MSI motherboard. i have to keep my FSB at 133 and keeps AGP fastwrite disabled in the bios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom