Greatest performance gain

Status
Not open for further replies.

polakbob

Baseband Member
Hey there folks. I'm looking to improve the performance of my machine as much as possible within a certain price range. As such, I'm looking to spend about $150 on either more RAM, a new video car, or a new processor. I'm currently running an AMD 64 3000+, geforce 6200, and 512mb of DDR ram. Which area would be my best improvement for the cost? Were it video card I think I would go with a 7600. Were it processor I think I looked at 3500's. Thanks for the help!

overall or in games?
i would go with new processor and 512mbx1. the video card is good enough for now.

GFX card, without a doubt. Aim for the 7600GT. Or get something slightly cheaper, like a 6600GT, and get another 512MB RAM.

polakbob said:
Heh, 3 answers, all different. It's a gaming rig for what it's worth.
yeah but go with mine. Its a gaming rig so your going to need a good GPU, The one you have isnt that bad but what you do need more of is memory. Get more RAM before you upgrade the GPU

well you got 3 different answers because you asked an ambiguous question. telling us that its a gaming rig makes it clear.

magouster is on the right path.. you'll need at least another 512mb of ram, and then a better gfx card. (a better gfx card will give you a bigger boost than a better cpu)

if you're dandy with mail in rebates, here's one route you can go:

btw.. i'm assumign you have pci-e slot... since you said you're considering a 7600.. i believe its made exclusively for pci-e (not sure about that..)

anyways.. this is what i would get

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102688

$116 after mail in rebate.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227037

$42 after mail in rebate

total after mail in rebate: $158

then add shipping and possibly tax..

Definately go with the RAM, then GPU, then CPU. Your processor is completely fine, what you really need is the RAM which will give your computer a whole lot of boost in and out of games.

I agree with above posters, RAM is where it is at. I went from 20 FPS to about 30 FPS alone when I upgraded my old rig to 1 gig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom