Laptop cooling options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan Bones

Baseband Member
A member of my family has a fairly hot-running laptop he uses exclusively for business. In the heat of the summer, he's concerned that it will overheat. He also uses it in bed (a surface which is not conducive to cooling and airflow), and wants to save both the unit itself and his lap.

What solutions are available? I know Coolermaster and Vantech (among others) make "cooling trays" with fans, out of conductive materials. But most reviews/articles I've read conclude that the cooling effect is negligible, and you'd do just as well to stick bottle caps under the corners of your laptop and use it on a flat surface. Plus, these things seem to be designed more for 15" laptops.

For use in bed, he'd like some sort of tray I suppose, just to keep the laptop out of contact with the covers/his lap. Is such a thing available? But for work, he'd need something compact and functional-- something that works.

...Well one thing is for sure. He should always use it on a flat surface...especially if there are fan / radiator grills on the underside of the laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom