Reformatting laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Threepwood

Daemon Poster
I just got an acer laptop just recently and after playing around on it a bit I've decided I dont like the stupid xp home they give you and the bloatware and crap. So I want to install my regular xp pro on it to take more advantage of the dual core processor since home doesnt support it as much.

My question is how will this work with all the software that is pretty much needed for a laptop. Such as power management, and all the integrated buttons that are on my laptop, will they still function when I put a clean version of pro on. Does pro natively support power management?

On my old Inspiron XP Pro does have some power management features. They are in the Control Panel under Power Options. They should be everything on your current lappy.
Not sure about the integrated buttons but I would assume those are software based. You might be able to reinstall the software from them using someting from Acer's site or your recovery disc/partition, but again I'm not certain.
Also, if you're not going to already, make that recovery disc Acer bugs you about before you proceed; you can never be too careful and you may want to restore if pro doesn't work out like you want it to.

Is there anything on the Acer website that tells you about formatting a lappy or have you tried Googling it. But definetly make a back-up cd/dvd before you proceed atleast then if things go "pete tong" you can always revert back to XP home.

Alright I think I've found the problem.

I was getting like a 3 second lag and sometimes game crashes in CSS before. I've managed to make it less annying and it doesnt seem to crash.

What I think is happening is that the graphics cards hyper memory is stealing all the remaining memory in my computer. So when a game needs to load a new sound effect of visual effect it has to first take memory off of the video card, then put it in for what it needs. This is what I think causes the lag because after I've been playing source for a good 15 mins, it goes away and you can play normally.

It's a bit annoying but I guess I can just live with it. Too bad I cant find a way to force the graphics driver to leave 100 megs of memory untouched so I dont get the lag, but whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom