Mobile Processor in desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

c14rkc

Beta member
I have got an AMD Athlon XP-M 2400+ CPU Socket 462 AXMH2400FQQ4C i was wondering if anyone knows if I can use this safely in a desktop with an AsRock K7S41GX and also if it would make a big performance difference, I have an Athlon 1600+ in there at the moment if there is how much am I liable to gain/lose
:confused: :confused: :confused:

well it would definitely outperform your desktop processor as the p-rating is basically universal and 2400>1600. you may need a BIOS flash but i doubt it. the only thing to be wary of is the cpu voltage. you will probably have to set it manually from what i hear. apparently the socket A desktop motherboards have issues detecting mobile processors and set the voltage to that of a desktop processor which will be higher

Do you know what voltage etc the m/b has to be set at? How would you go about doing this?

You've gotta be careful using XP-M CPU's. From my experience, it'll only work if you have the option to change the FSB, Multiplier AND voltage in your BIOS. If not, the mobo will either not recognise the CPU properly, or will just spit it's dummy out altogether.

If you have got those options, stick it in and OC the **** out of it!
If not, stick it in anyway and see what happens, I'm pretty sure you're not going to damage anything, and as long as you know where your "clear CMOS" pins are, you're laughing.

EDIT: Looks like you have got the required options:

http://www.asrock.com/product/K7S41GX.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom