XP Pro keeps restarting at startup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

brrymnvette

In Runtime
I have a Dell GX260 with XP Pro SP2. It keeps restarting as soon as the desktop comes up. When it restarts chkdsk starts running every time. But, it's not running the repair option. The desktop is only up for about 20 seconds before it restarts. I've tried starting in safe mode but then it won't even make it to the desktop. I'm trying to save some of the pics that are on the comp b/c they are my friends newborn and this is his comp. All I care about is saving those. Any ideas on how I can get this thing to stop restarting long enough to get those pics? I've tried to copy them in Recovery Console but it won't let me switch to the Documents and Settings directory.

Thanks,
Andy

One thing you can do is get a new (or another) harddrive (henceforce will be shortened to HD2), install XP on it, and put your first harddrive (HD1) as a slave to HD2. The computer will load the OS from HD2 (in master position) and you'll be able to tranfers anything on and off of HD1.

I've thought about that, but I don't have a spare hard drive yet and he hasn't bought a new one yet. So, I was just seeing if there was anything I could do in the meantime.

You could try a windows repair. Personally, my first post was a much easier (although time consuming) way. Windows repair is reinstalling the OS without touching your files. Google it if you wish to pursue this option, although, i would suggest my first post because of the lack of possible data loss.

I found a spare 10gb so that's what I'm trying right now.
I'm going to try and ghost it after I get the OS installed.

Ok, I must be blind b/c I don't see where to dl/buy the admin pack? It just shows the highlights of it? It looks to be better than the bartpe.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom