If money was not a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
...what is dual-boot?

Dual-boot is where you install two OS's on a computer, such Windows XP and Linux, Unix, FreeBSD,etc. This allows more options for operating systems.

Personally, I'd like to repartition so I can dual-boot, but I don't have a full OS of XP. I just have the upgrade.

After going from being completely clueless to knowledgable enough about computers to pretty much build one from parts, I really believe that I will never buy a ready-made computer again.

IMO to make the best AND/OR cheapest computer you should take the time to learn how to build one and then do it yourself, which is a lot less difficult than I'm sure most people think.

mrdinkel said:
Dual-boot is where you install two OS's on a computer, such Windows XP and Linux, Unix, FreeBSD,etc. This allows more options for operating systems.

Personally, I'd like to repartition so I can dual-boot, but I don't have a full OS of XP. I just have the upgrade.

Doesnt matter. The only difference between an upgrade version of XP and the full version, is that the upgrade version asks for a previous version of Windows. As long as you have an old Windows disc, then the Windows upgrade becomes a full version;)

True_Orb said:
After going from being completely clueless to knowledgable enough about computers to pretty much build one from parts, I really believe that I will never buy a ready-made computer again.

IMO to make the best AND/OR cheapest computer you should take the time to learn how to build one and then do it yourself, which is a lot less difficult than I'm sure most people think.

Yes, you are right. The best way to get exactly what you want, spend as little money as you could, and get the best PC you can...is to build it yourself. Which isnt all that hard.

But, if money were no issue...I would go with Alienware. I have customized some of their stuff and come out with 14,000 dollar systems that are quite nice:) And it looks great too.

If money weren't an issue, I would probably have the following:

-Apple Powermac G5 Dual 2.0 GHz (though I might wait a few months for the 3.0 GHz ones destined for this summer), complete with 8 GB of RAM, a Superdrive, and four hard drives.

-Apple Powerbook G4 15"

-A homebuilt Pentium 4 3.06 GHz with HT, triple-booting between Mandrake Linux 9.?, Red Hat Fedora 9.?, and Windows 2000 Pro.

-A homebuilt AMD 64 machine, triple-booting between Slackware Linux, Debian Linux, and Windows XP 64-bit Edition.

So from your list, I'll have to take the G5. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom