Trying to Find a certain Driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phate

In Runtime
ok, so i just reformatted my hard drive, and i needed to put in drivers for internet, sound, and video stuff, to run everything i need.

its a Dell Dimension 4600 running Windows XP, but i couldnt find the drivers disc it came with.

now whenever i scroll, its very slow because its refreshing the page each time it has to go down a little bit, its very flickery and stuff, not like it was in the past.

i think this is because its using onboard video, not the video card.

so here is my question:

where can i find a driver for an ATI Radeon 9800 PRO?

i went to theyre site (ATI) but i couldnt figure out which thing i need, or if i need anything.

i searched google, also yeidling no pertinent results.

any ideas appreciated,
Phate

For one, in BIOS do you have it set to use onboard graphics or AGP (assuming that is the interface you have)? Check to make sure of this before reading on.

Two, here are the drivers you're looking for. Should've been easy to find. On ATI's website, theres a button near the top that says "Drivers And Software." Pretty straightforward after that.

when i click on Windows XP Drivers and Software, then go to RADEON, it gives me Catalyst 6.7, ATI Multimedia, HYDRAVISION, or Catalyst Crew Feedback, and thats where i am confused, i had gotten there before, but which one will allow me to use the ATI RADEON 9800 PRO? most driver sites on companys just have a list of theyre products and drivers for each one =\

Hello,

ATI have drivers called 'Catalyst Drivers'. These drivers are similar to Nvidia's forceware drivers in that, they are designed to be compatible with a vast range of ATI's graphics processing units.

You'll want to download the Catalyst for Windows XP Version 6.7 with Catalyst Control Centre. It's available on the front page of ATI's website.

ok, so i download the catalyst 6.7 for Windows XP, and i install the .net framework 2.0 (says its required) and then i DL the actual Catalyst Controller thing.

it says its compatible with Radeon 9800 family stuff, so a radeon 9800 pro should be in there, right?

when i run it, it verifys the installation, i click install, it unpacks, and starts the installation thing, the full screen installation program comes up, but its just the background.

after a little bit, it gives me an error along the lines of:

The software or hardware that needs to be updated could not be found.

something like that, thats basically the gist, it couldnt find anything to update, or couldnt find the thing it THOUGHT needed to be updated.

also, when i go to Device Manager, it says under Other Devices (question mark icon, unrecognized?)
Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

is this my video card?

-Phate

Check this for me, real quick. Start>Run type "dxdiag" then click on the "Display" tab. Get a screen shot (press the "Print Screen" button, open up MSPaint, Edit>Paste. Host on imageshack.us), and post it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom