A disk read error occured?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xMemphisx

Baseband Member
Alright, i'm moving a bunch of my old computers around and using them for different network/file servers ect.

I have 3 different Compaq Ipaq computers, none of which actually have a CD drive in them. The first one, i got linux installed on, and working perfectly.

Now, on the one i'm trying to use, i did the same thing i did for the last one, took the harddrive out, put it into another computer to install the OS (Win XP Prof... YES a legal copy), and then put the hard drive back into the original computer.

It installed just fine on my other computer, no hard drive errors or any other problems but when i put the harddrive back into the Ipaq, i get an error message saying

"A disk read error occured
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"

I've googled it, and it says that's a problem with the harddrive.... but if it works just fine in my other PC, why is ther a problem here?

The computer you installed the OS on was it the same model as the IPAQ you are putting it in? If it isnt then that is the problem. You simply cant install the OS on a hard drive on one computer, take it out and expect it to work in a completely differnt model. I am not saying it never works, but rarely works. You could fix it with a repair of the OS...with no CD-ROM drive though we may have to do a network start...hmmm..what are our options? Does it have a floppy, usb..etc etc..

you should have networked the pc's and partition it and copy the content of the cd on the hdd and installed from there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom