Flash Drive Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davis

Solid State Member
I just bought a Sandisk Cruzer Micro 1GB flash drive. I have two working USB ports and it doesn't work in either. My other Attache Flash Drive works though.

When I go into device manager and look at its properties it says "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" The computer knows it is a USB Mass Storage Device but there is a yellow ! over the USB icon in device manager. I've uninstalled it a few times and uninstalled all the USB drivers. All were re-installed normally but the flash drive still wont work.

Anyone have any ideas for what I should do?

PS: Win XP with SP2

I've never had a problem installing a flash drive on a windows 2000/xp machine. I'd try the flashdrive in another pc and if it doesn't work look into exchanging it.

Thats what I was thinking. It should instal no problem. I'll try it in my cousins computer tomorrow. Thanks for the reply.

I went to my cousins house and it works fine in his computer. Is there any chance that one of my Windows files is messed up?

Did you say that another flash drive work and not this particular one? It might be trying to use the same drive letter as the other one, what you can do is go to computer management (right click on My Computer and select Manage). Go to disk management, plug in the old flash drive, than change the drive letter to something else that isn't use (like Z). Now try the new flash drive.

I have only been plugging one in at a time so the drive letter shouldn't matter. And I've tried unplugging all the USB devices and it still didn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom