Conroe Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using AM3 CPU on an AM2 board is like using a SATA 3g device on a 1.5g board, it will fit, but it will be limited. ThatÂ’s the impression I've gotten from reading reviews. They are backwards compatible but because its older technology it wont run at optimum performance. So I think that getting an AM2 socket motherboard just because you think AM3 will rock, is a stupid idea.

massacreinfallx said:
yeah well conroe boards are limited right now and i need a system asap. icant wait for the larger selection of boards

Shame, even the cheapest conroes overclocked outperforms an FX62. The only slice of the desktop market that it makes sense to build an AMD system for at the moment is the super budget systems where processing power isn't a concern (non workstation/gaming).
Sure you may say "what do I need all that power for?" but then not so many years ago bill gates said no computer will ever need more than 512kRAM (or something to that effect), fact is there never will be enough computing power because the software always pushes the envelope.
You just wait for vista and the DX10 games then you'll be crying in your soup.

ANyway, AMD have given us no reason to belive they will have a credible answer to conroe in the next 2 years and by then Intel will have moved on 2 or 3 Generations.

MrCoffee said:
Shame, even the cheapest conroes overclocked outperforms an FX62. The only slice of the desktop market that it makes sense to build an AMD system for at the moment is the super budget systems where processing power isn't a concern (non workstation/gaming).
Sure you may say "what do I need all that power for?" but then not so many years ago bill gates said no computer will ever need more than 512kRAM (or something to that effect), fact is there never will be enough computing power because the software always pushes the envelope.
You just wait for vista and the DX10 games then you'll be crying in your soup.

ANyway, AMD have given us no reason to belive they will have a credible answer to conroe in the next 2 years and by then Intel will have moved on 2 or 3 Generations.

hahah and i had already preordered an e6600:)

i dont really care though, by the time the 4000+ with 1mb cache isnt good enough, there will be somthing fromamd that will fit am2 socket and do fine.

Not everyone overclocks, I myself do not monkey with it since it voids the w arranty and risks damaging the parts I just spent money on. And it was 64K ram =P. Why would vista drain THAT much out of your computer if most laptops with built in graphics can handle it *sigh*.

Oh and just why does everyone think that AMD a large multimillion dollar corportation does NOT have secret cores or that they will sit on their hands and knees waiting for Intel to keep going.

AMD burst into the market while Intel was the king on the mountain and they have carved themselves their own little empire, I doubt they will die without a fight.

Overclocking does not void the warranty. It is only voided if you get caught.

JoshSB said:
Not everyone overclocks, I myself do not monkey with it since it voids the w arranty and risks damaging the parts I just spent money on. And it was 64K ram =P. Why would vista drain THAT much out of your computer if most laptops with built in graphics can handle it *sigh*.

Oh and just why does everyone think that AMD a large multimillion dollar corportation does NOT have secret cores or that they will sit on their hands and knees waiting for Intel to keep going.

AMD burst into the market while Intel was the king on the mountain and they have carved themselves their own little empire, I doubt they will die without a fight.

Win2kpatcher said:
Overclocking does not void the warranty. It is only voided if you get caught.

Hmm... how does that work with the new mobo's that can "auto overclock" to certain settings?
Guarenteed you have to tell it to overclock, but it would seem safer, no?

massacreinfallx said:
hahah and i had already preordered an e6600:)

i dont really care though, by the time the 4000+ with 1mb cache isnt good enough, there will be somthing fromamd that will fit am2 socket and do fine.

I really wouldn't count on AMD releasing anything special for AM2, IMO AM2 is just a steping stone socket and anything interesting from AMD will be on a new socket, even K8L I imagine will be on a new socket and thats only a revision of K8.
In reality AM2 is a bit of a wasted effort, its only real value seems to be in marketing.

AMD is pretty much out of the game (so far as enthusiasts are concerned) until they cook up K9 and what ever socket that will be on (definately not AM2).

Although it is true that your 4000+ should last you a fair while in any case.

MrCoffee said:
I really wouldn't count on AMD releasing anything special for AM2, IMO AM2 is just a steping stone socket and anything interesting from AMD will be on a new socket, even K8L I imagine will be on a new socket and thats only a revision of K8.
In reality AM2 is a bit of a wasted effort, its only real value seems to be in marketing.

AMD is pretty much out of the game (so far as enthusiasts are concerned) until they cook up K9 and what ever socket that will be on (definately not AM2).

Although it is true that your 4000+ should last you a fair while in any case.

maybe so, but by the time i need a new setup ide beglad to buy a new mobo cpu setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom