University student needs help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

m.miliucci

Beta member
Hello all,

I'm going to university in the Fall and I'm in the market for a notebook. Problem is, being a student, I'm on a tight budget and trying to get the most for my money. My main concern is processor type. I've heard that Celerons are garbage from many people so I'm staying away from those. I've basically narrowed it down to these two notebooks.

Dell Inspiron 640M (Intel CoreTM Duo Processor T2500 (2GHz/667MHz FSB/2MB Cache)

Dell Inspiron 1300 Intel Pentium M 735 Processor (1.70GHz, 400MHz FSB)

Basically, The 1300 is cheaper and I'm wondering if it's really necessary to spend extra cash on the Dual-Core processor.

Anyone who can lend me some expertise in terms of the comparison of a Dual-Core vs. a Pentium M would be greatly appreciated. Also, feel free to point me in the direction of some other comparable alternatives!

Cheers!:)

I'm going to be using the laptop for basically the same things that I use my desktop for now... MS Word/Excel, downloading music, watching movies, using email, and searching the web. I don't plan to use it for gaming.

I'm not going to limit myself to Dell either, it's just that I've had a good experience with them in the past. What other brands/advice can you offer?

Any laptop should serve you just fine. If it's not for gaming, there isn't much debate over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom