Status
Not open for further replies.

n1k23

Solid State Member
Ok, to start, here are my specs:

AMD X2 4400+ 2.2ghz
2x512mb RAM
256mb 7800GTX
480w PSU (which I believe may be the problem)

I built this computer around half a year ago, and for the first 3 or 4 months I had no problem whatsoever when playing games. However now when I play source based games (well Counter-Strike: Source anyway, and possibly other games but that was the main game which I was playing when I first started noticing the problem), after about 10 minutes I notice one of my case fans (I have 2) starts to slow down. At first I thought I could of just been imagining it, but when I saw the fan had completly stopped I knew there was a problem.

I stopped playing for a while (due to that and I seemed to be busier in general) but after about 2 months of not playing I encountered the same problem; I switched off my computer, and when turning it on, the fan didn't move at all and then after about 10 seconds decided to finally move....that was when I decided to just unplug that fan. Though when playing a bit of CSS for 10 minutes, the remaining fan decided to slow down...

Now for some reason I believe it is the PSU, although I'm not paticulaly sure....I built this PC (first time, so a newbie) and had a problem with the PSU and thought I'd have to purchase a new one. I'm probably the worst person to explain this, but there were too many little holes on that ATX power connector for the actually connector, resulting in 4 extra holes when plugging in the ATX power cable (if that's what you call it?).

When we got a man at our local computer shop, who I don't actually personally trust much, to see if everything's ok, he plugged another cable somewhere else when seeing there were four missing holes, and said it should be fine.

So is it actually fine? Is there a connection between the fan slowing down and this incident with the PSU?

Thanks

It sounds like you didn't have the 4 pin connection plugged into the mobo... you have the primary 12 pin plugged, but not the other...

connects.jpg

You should be good as long as all the plugs are in... check your system to make sure there are no open ones besides maybe the 3 pin fan connections on the mobo...

Nukem said:
It sounds like you didn't have the 4 pin connection plugged into the mobo... you have the primary 12 pin plugged, but not the other...

connects.jpg

You should be good as long as all the plugs are in... check your system to make sure there are no open ones besides maybe the 3 pin fan connections on the mobo...
Hello, thanks for that, the connection I think you're talking about is on the top left of the motherboard just below the PSU, into a connector callled 'ATX 12V' - That is correct yes?

But I still have 4 empty holes on the main ATX connector....Should it be fine or do I need a new PSU?

So you have a 24 pin mobo, but not a 24 pin PSU... what kind of mobo and PSU (Models) do you have, so I can do some digging around?? You should be good as long as they are both connected now, but lemme look around at little bit once I get your info.

You should be good.... your PSU has a 24 pin on it... I would plug them both in and see what it does... but both of those are more than compatible...

Connects1.jpg

Hi, this is N1k23's friend, and he claims he can't find an additional 4 pin connector.

Are you positive that that PSU has more than 1 4 pin connector?

He has it... I can only go by what I see... If he doesn't then I guess he doesn't.... But as long as he has the 12 pin in place and the 4 pin in place then he should be good... the only thing I can say now it play a game and find out if it works...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom