Socket AM2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake91839

In Runtime
I was planning on building a pc with a socket 939 processor. But then I heard that the main AMD socket now was the AM2, just wondering if that is true, beause if that is there new main socket type, then I will probably want to build with that making it easier to upgrade in the future.

yes it is true, but if its any better is another question. I'll tell you what I know.

Luckily AM2 is newer, but the same price. It takes DDR2 not DDR which some people say is bad, because DDR2 has more relaxed timings which I guess is bad for overclocking. I don't know of any probs with it other than its not really the best thing out there.

Also Conroe is out now so most people will tell you to think about that too. It'll come to newegg in 2 weeks, but you can preorder it off other sites.

AM2 has a little more performance than S939. But that is about it. If you don't want to go for intel and get those super expensive mobo's right now, then I would say go for a S939... It'll still be around for a few years and will still give you the performance you want... Just my 2 cents...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom