Boot from CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
talldude123 said:
You'll have to change it.

Better yet, why don't you change the boot order from DVD-ROM then Hard Drive? Then it has to search the CD-ROM, then the HD.

I dont understand. This is what I got out of it so far.

HL-DT-STDVD-Rom GDR - DVD Drive?
4M-HL-DT-ST GCE-8526B - Hard drive?

But wait I have a CD and DVD drive on my PC. Im pretty sure the one I always use is CD the DVD one i think is just for playing dvds? im confused by all these crazy letter combos and so many drives

talldude123 said:
You'll have to change it.

Better yet, why don't you change the boot order from DVD-ROM then Hard Drive? Then it has to search the CD-ROM, then the HD.

no he won't. he set 2 different options. 1st was boot order. 2nd was primary boot cd-rom

Foostaple said:
... Of course make it boot from a CD.

Why "Of course make it boot from a CD"? Did you mean you just want to make sure that the pc to boot from CD (for example for the purpose of reinstalling the OS)? If so then just arrange the Boot Device Priority as follows:

Boot Device Priority
- 1st - 4M-HL-DT-ST GCE-8526B
- 2nd - 1st FLOPPY Drive
- 3rd - PM-WDC-WD1600JD-00HBB0

OR

Boot Device Priority
- 2nd - PM-WDC-WD1600JD-00HBB0
- 3rd - 1st FLOPPY Drive

But for the above-mention purpose, the 2nd and 3rd boot device priorities are not important to you.

However, after reinstalling your OS, in order that your pc can boot up from your hard disk a little bit faster, it's best that you change the priority one more time to:

Boot Device Priority
- 1st - PM-WDC-WD1600JD-00HBB0
- 2nd - 4M-HL-DT-ST GCE-8526B
- 3rd - 1st FLOPPY Drive

Foostaple said:
Ok I have refomated my PC a few times but I always forget what setting to change in my Bios. Of course make it boot from a CD.

So first I go into my Bios and go to "Boot" section. I know I have to change something there. Theres a hole bunch of stuff I can change in that section but i narrowed it down to two things. I only gota change something in one of them though but I dont even know what to change.

Boot Device Priority

- 2nd - 1st FLOPPY Drive

OR

Atapi CD-Rom Drives

- 1st drive - 4M-HL-DT-ST GCE-8526B
- 2nd drive - 4S-HL-DT-STDVD-Rom GDR

Thats how the setting are now.. which do I change and what do I change

I came in drunk last night. I'll explain better. my bios has a similar setup

the first is your boot priority. the 2nd one is, which one do you was to set as the primary boot cd-rom. in my experience dvd rom reads discs better, so I would set that first.

now my bios will still let me boot from both devices, both most bios will make the other drive (2nd) unbootable if it isn't the primary one

Re: Re: Boot from CD

Sevenor said:
Why "Of course make it boot from a CD"? Did you mean you just want to make sure that the pc to boot from CD (for example for the purpose of reinstalling the OS)? If so then just arrange the Boot Device Priority as follows:

Boot Device Priority
- 2nd - 1st FLOPPY Drive

OR

Boot Device Priority
- 2nd - PM-WDC-WD1600JD-00HBB0
- 3rd - 1st FLOPPY Drive

But for the above-mention purpose, the 2nd and 3rd boot device priorities are not important to you.

However, after reinstalling your OS, in order that your pc can boot up from your hard disk a little bit faster, it's best that you change the priority one more time to:

Boot Device Priority
- 1st - PM-WDC-WD1600JD-00HBB0
- 2nd - 4M-HL-DT-ST GCE-8526B
- 3rd - 1st FLOPPY Drive

But that still isnt changing the 1st boot one. Dont I have to make first boot CD

this is a simple thing, that you are just making hard for yourself. just boot from the cd rom drive. if it don't work, put it in the other cd rom drive

EricB said:
this is a simple thing, that you are just making hard for yourself. just boot from the cd rom drive. if it don't work, put it in the other cd rom drive

That's right!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom