p4 531 or p4 630

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicmacben

Solid State Member
I'm shopping for parts for a budget (very tight budget) gaming rig, and these two cpu's have me stuck. The only difference Newegg listed between the two was the l2 cache, (other than the doubled price) so why shouldn't I save my cash and go with the 531? Is there anything I'm missing?

I plan on doing a little ocing, so is one more stable for that than the other? Or is there another proc that is better than both of these for around the same price? Any help greatly appreciated!!

Here's the newegg comparison.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...mpareItemList=N82E16819116230,N82E16819116198

hopefully u havent bought anything yet. here a processor with better performance.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103537

you goona need socket s939 motherboard.

do this decide on two computers one intel and one amd .when u have the items u want picked out, post then here and we can give some more advise.

google this processors and video cards for benchmarks. some u can make a more informed decision.

And the difference between the 2 processors is that 1 has a bigger l2 cache and EMT64 which it can do 64 bits code. the ohter can only do 32 bit code.

2ghz is kinda slow...

it is not. as has been said "clock speed isn't everything". there are two main factors that go into giving a processor it's processing power. one is the clock speed and the other is it's efficiency. the efficiency is basically how many "clock cycles" (the processors frequency is the number of clock cycles per second so 2ghz is 2 billion) it takes the processor to perform a given task. from memory AMD uses a 14 stage pipeline versus the Pentium 4 Prescott or Cedar Mill's 31 stages. the AMD does more at 2ghz than a P4 at 3.2ghz

Oh,yeah, I heard something about that... So for gaming, it would beat the intel hands down?

Everybody on this forum seems to be diehard AMD fans, so that says something good about AMD right there. ; )

sonicmacben said:
Oh,yeah, I heard something about that... So for gaming, it would beat the intel hands down?

Everybody on this forum seems to be diehard AMD fans, so that says something good about AMD right there. ; )

Minus the new Conroe (Core 2 Duo) processors, AMD will outperform Intel hands down.

Although most of us are diehard AMD fans, a couple of us (me included) have our eye on the new Conroes. Those babies are smokin'. :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom