Hard Disk Probs

Status
Not open for further replies.

adib

Solid State Member
Hello this forum is great.Well I have got a really big problem. U see i just bought a Pentium 4 computer and wanted to transfer all my data to my new pc from the old pc which was pentium 2.Well i took out the hard disk from my old pc and connected into the new pcs peripheral cable...u know the cables that are found inside the pc.the four pin cable.Well my old pcs hard disk (Western Digital) 6.4 Gb started to run when i turned my new comp.But now new hard disk drive was detected.I tried detecting it manually but nothing happened.Then all of a sudden the hard disk(old 1) stopped working i was able to tell this cuz it was making a faint noise and was vibrating in my hand.And now it duzn do it.I tried putting it back in the old pc but it still duznt work.I really dont know wuts goin on in there....did the hard disk short circuited or somethin?Please Help me on this
Thanks and looking forward for ur help

Did you hook up the ribbon cable also. Make sure the new drive is set to master and the second your old drive is set to slave. Or set them both to cable select. If you don't know how to do this let me know ill help you out.

i need help i really dont know how to do those.Please tell me how to do those.

Well I just found out the peripheral cable that i was tokin about is the power cable.Thats it.I just connected that.What else do i have to do.And how do i set the old hard disk as slave please let me know. Thanks alot

You need to connect the Ribbon cable to the hard drive. Ill get a picture for you and post them for you soon. OK. Here is a link to help you. If you look at your hard drive you will see some pins on the edge by the ribbon cable slot. right on top of drive lined up with the pins it will say master, slave and cable select The drive that is in your computer is probably the master. So if you have one hard drive and one CD burner or DVD those will probably be on one cable as master and slave. If so you will need another cable to plug into the motherboard. You just need to plug it into the slot nest to the cable that is already logged in and the cable will have a knob on one side line it up with the slot on the on the motherboard slot so the cable is plugged in the right way. Here is a link to help you.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...=1&q=Hard+drive+installation+pictures&spell=1
Good Luck. P.S before you put your hands in your computer lay your hand on the metal parts to ground your self first so you don't damage anything with static.

ok thanks for the help but i think for some apparent reason my hard disk is busted.Just as i have sed b4.It worked for 2 minute i was like holding it in my hand it was vibrating as the disk was getting the power and all of a sudden it just stopped vibrating.And now when i put it back to my old comp.Well it just cant read it.It duzn vibrate any more:( and they say to put system disk and all.So thas the scene.Thanks alot i hope the problem can be fixed if its a short circuit and i can recover my datas back...the data are important....if it wasnt becos of that i wud have long thrown the hard disk off lol...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom