Proc / video card problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

coleman

Baseband Member
so i was taking out my proc out of my old mobo and placing it into my new comp. The chip was stuck to my HS, so i searched some forums and they said use a hairdryer then take a credit card and glide it off. The hairdryer worked and i was able to get it off. It worked so i placed it into my new comp and slapped a zalman HS on it.
When i start up my computer all the fans are going, my mobo light is green, all the lights are working. But i get no beeps from my computer and no bios screen appears on my comp.

Now the question i have....
did the hairdryer probably fry my proc? or is it a video card issue with nothing appearing on my screen?

and if anyone has seen a similar problem recently and is something different that those two things plz post here!!!

thanks

Take out the RAM and video card. Boot the machine; do you get a long beep? If so add the RAM, boot the machine do you get any beeps, then add the video card, no beep at this point would probably mean incompatible card or voltage level.

k, i took out ram and video card. Booted my comp up no beeps =(
put ram and card back in, still no beeps =(

when u say "no beep at this point would probably mean incompatible card or voltage level."

could u give me a solution or something. I'm just learning the basics so far so if u could maybe explain more deeply or make it easier to understand that would be great.

It could be an incompatibility issue with the CPU and MB, probably the voltage setting. I doubt you can fix this, because it usually requires getting in to the BIOS. You can try to reset it though, the easiest way is by taking out the CMOS battery and leaving it out for about 5 to 10 minute or longer if necessary. Put it back in and try again.

since my mb is brand new and it shows its getting power and such. My proc im more worried about because when i used the hairdrying method to remove the chip from hs it got really hot.

now after telling u that would u think i need a new proc?

I doubt it's the card at this point, if you did what I told you and leave the CPU by itself. Reason being is because when the power is turned on the system clock generate the clock pulses (located on the MB), now the CPU has to begin working and initializes itself (resetting it's internal values), the CPU turns to memory address FFFF0h, which is the memory address always assigned to the first instruction in the ROM BIOS startup program before the POST begin (the beeps) and before your RAM (the firs 16k) is tested.

after telling me theres not much i can do about it since to fix the voltage problem i need to get into the bios. hmmmmmmmm what do u suppose i do now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom