$750 build

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not my system. It's for my cousin. Although I just told him that if he gets a video card for it, i will pay $100 extra to help him out.

The only thing i'll be doing on it is fixing it up and installing a video card and 512MB RAM. I don't think i'm "qualified" to use a gaming computer, since i've never used one.

NO, but since you do know what your talking about, you can show them how easy it is to replace/upgrade parts... most parents need the reassurance IN PERSON that it can be done, without costing too much. And that's for anything to do with kids... cause mine loves to say he NEEDS a new this or that... BuLL Poop! GET a J.O.B. oh... sorry... flashback to my kid... :p anywho... that's all I meant... ease the tension so when it does happen. That PSU blows, or ram has to get upgraded... it can be done with them knowing it'll be ok.

On my old Emachines I had intergated and it played Far cry on All Low settings no lag on 1024 res, then It played cod2 on low all fine and It played CS:source on medium perfect...

:)

Cool Anthrax.

What about 800*600 (it's on a 17" CRT) on medium detail? Did it work well?

And i guess new Emachines have better graphics than your old one :p

I dont see why your helping.They think all the info your giving them is false.I would let them get the intergrated GFX's and sit next to them when they try to play a decent game.The ATI x200 is alright for intergrated GFX's.But plays games low/mediu.But he still wont play any games like BF2,obilvion and so forth.

I probably know the same as them about gaming, and how to setup a computer for it.

I've never gamed on a PC before; so i don't know the first thing about graphic cards.

talldude123 said:
I probably know the same as them about gaming, and how to setup a computer for it.

I've never gamed on a PC before; so i don't know the first thing about graphic cards.

thats because you use a celeron!

and that emachines, its the same one i recommended! yes, it only has 512, but its actually pretty cheap.

anyways... for video card, get one of these..

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10074773&catid=20397

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10077502&catid=20397

i don't know how a video card can be "bilingual".. but its $20 cheaper than the regular one..

ya'know it's kinda funny.. for someone who is the number 9 top poster on TF he can't read the forum and get an idea of what kinda hardware is out there for gaming???? LOL :p (J/K)

what to look for in a video card:

number of pipelines (higher is better)

GPU clock speed (higher is better)

video memory (higher is better) though video memory doesn't make much of a difference, unless you are running a game that requires lots of textures (pictures placed over objects, like for walls, ground etc)

interface: you'll want PCI-E 16X or AGP 8X at least. preferrably PCI-E 16X.
PCI graphics cards are not very good

integrated graphics cards are always low standard (to keep the cost of the motherboard, and therefore the system, down)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom