1GB or 2x512mb RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
No if you want 1gb get 2x512mb.Its better performance I would know my computers are of the highest performance and I dont care what others think and dont reply its proven that Dual-channel is better than Single channel.just get dual sticks of 512mb its fine, if you want 2gb which i dont think so you would be asking than get 2gb.Save your money up and just get 2gb now if thats what your gonna be doing down the road.

^^^ He might not have the money to buy 2GB now, so I maintain he should get the single stick now, and upgrade to 2GB later on. While dual-channel performs better, you wouldn't really notice a difference in real-world performance with a single 1GB stick. But you would make it easier for future upgrading. THINK PEOPLE! 4x512MB RAM is awful compared to 2x1GB! Not everyone can buy everything they want now, and forget about the future!

also for the typical user the difference is minimal between dual channel and single channel so it makes sense to go for the single 1gb stick for the reasons everyone keeps saying.

magouster said:
Keep in mind the effect dual-channel has. Anybody else want to comment? I'm willing to bet good money 2x512MB is better than a single 1GB stick.
yea, i remember my one teacher saying that 2 512 mb is better than one 1 gb stick. i'd go with that.

go with 1 1gb stick like everyone is saying. You won't get dual channel, but it prevents a hassle in the future when you upgrade to 2gbs.

thats unless u couldnt be stuffed upgrading later
but they're right
if u DO indeed plan to upgrade then the 2-5% performance increase of dual channel will make no difference to you
epecially wen u do upgrade

yeah that's true. It depends on if you think you'll upgrade later on or not. If you don't think you will, then get the 2 sticks, if you DO think you will though, get the 1 stick.

Something like kingston or corsair value ram. My plan is to eventually have 2 gigs of ram. So right now I am going to buy the 1 gig stick and buy another gig later.

Another question, my mobo has 2 ram slots, in my computer that I have now has some pc2700 ram in it. Could I put the one gig stick of pc 3200 and the 256mb stick of pc2700 on my new board. Will it downclock both to pc 2700 and if so will it be worth it to have that extra 256 mbs at the slower speed? Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom