external hardrive does not recognise usb 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

patience

Solid State Member
Hi everyone,

I just bought a brand new hard drive and I am having some trouble with the usb. Most of the time when I turn it on I get a pop up message saying that I should plug into an usb 2.0 port so it will be faster, however, it already is plugged into a 2.0 port. Sometimes it does recognise it as a 2.0 port but when it doesn't it takes forever to transfer data. Does anyone know how I can make it recognise the usb 2.0 all the time?

Would be ever so grateful

Patience

Do you have any error icons (re: USB Controller) in your device manager?

Have you tried all of the other USB ports?

Has it ever worked correctly?

wow, that was quick, thanx.

I have tried all the other ports but they are not 2.0.
Right now I have it plugged in 2.0 and for some reason it is fine now. But the next minute it will not recognise it. So it goes back and forth like that while it remains in the same 2.0 port.

Where do I find the device manager?

( I have checked properties when I click on 'safely remove hardware' but there it keeps saying that the device is working properly)

Right Click on your My Computer Icon.
Select Properties.
Select Hardware (tab)
Click Device Manager.
If there is an error, you will see it automatically.
It is the yellow exclamation mark icon...

Do you have an older machine?
Can you give full specs please?

I just checked and it says everything is working properly. as for specs I somewhat live in oblivion but I will give it a go:

The external harddisk is a maxtor 6L250R0 USB device.
The computer was bought three years ago , the most regular stuff, pentium , windows proffesional. I have not had any problems with the USB 2.0 until this new external hardrive. Previous external hard drive worked fine on it.

Hope thats what you meant with specs

Honestly It's the External mixed with your 3 year old machine.
From time to time the USB controller won't recognize newer technology based External Drives. Unfortunately this is a knows issue with Microsoft, and this happens alot (especially with Ipods for some reason)

You can try updating your USB controller driver, but it's not 100% certain that will work.

Does it work specific times, and NOT work other times?
Have you noticed any steps where it works better than normal?

ex: right after boot up, or anything like that?

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate this.
It generally stops recognising after the external harddrive has been left on for a few hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom