"INF Error", VGA Driver "Missing" Installing ATI Catalyst Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

CannedLizard

Beta member
Okay, I have an ATI Radeon 8500 on my Windows XP system, and one day, after my dad had used the computer, the 3D video driver stoppeed working. He can't recall doing anything. So it goes. I think "whatever", downloaded the latest Catalyst drivers, and try to install it, only to get the message "INF Error, Video Driver Not Found" and then "Try to set up your adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup". I tried googling for info (apparently it's a common-ish issue), but I never found anything that worked. I tried uninstalling anything ATI and then installing, to no avail. I tried uninstalling the error-listed VGA adapter from the Device Manager and then running install which didn't work. Rebooting after that also didn't work (it popped up with "New hardware found" after the reboot, but it couldn't find the proper drivers).

One suggestion that I found is to download drivers for my "chipset" or mobo. Unfortunately, I don't know what my chipset/mobo brand/model is, and don't know how to find out. If this is the solution, how can I find out? If this isn't the solution, what is?

If this could be solved ASAP, that would be lovely, as I'm going through video game withdrawl here (also scrolling in Firefox is all jerky and some videos are jerky when playing).

Thanks in advance,
Robbie B

After an unedifying series of adventures I got to http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/download/dld/spt_dld_detail.php?UID=45&kind=1 which has several drivers for my mobo. I first downloaded (obviously) the VGA driver, and tried to run setup. Unfortunately, after preparing the install, an Error message pops up saying "The system cannot detect the device, please confirm that the device is configured properly and restart the setup program." I then tried downloading the AGP upgrade, installed it, but nothing changed. I also downloaded the BIOS update, since it mentioned a VGA upgrade, but I'm uncomfortable with upgrading the BIOS if it's possible that that's not the main issue.

You should update your bios anyway... just to be safe... but... restart your system and go into safe mode (F8) once you get logged in, uninstall ALL your video drivers (making sure you have the ones you need in your my docs folder. do a search for *ati* and run it... it'll look for anything to do with ATI in it... delete all of it. most it should be is registry edits, folders, and what not. once that's done... shut down. open up the case, and pull the AGP card out for about 30 seconds... then reinstall.. start up as normal and let windows see it... once it tries to install the driver, cancel and load the ATI driver. after you get that set up and done then run all your spyware, antivirus, etc... and do a GOOD clean of temp files ( http://www.ccleaner.com/ ) then restart again.

I have tried deleting all of my ATI stuff from the computer, via the add/remove program utility in the past, to no avail.

Nukem said:
start up as normal and let windows see it... once it tries to install the driver, cancel and load the ATI driver.

The problem is, every time I start up it sees the "Video Controller (VGA Compatible", tries to start it up and fails since it can't find the drivers and, try as I might, I can't provide them.

I also just tried reinstalling Windows XP on a second hard drive, and installing the ATI drivers there, but that didn't work (same problem).

If anything, I'd like just to be able to copy the drivers from the ATI\Support\6-6_xp-2k_dd_ccc_wdm_enu_33678\Driver folder and just stick it in the Windows directory...but that's not possible, is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom