Can't use computer without internet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the network card is built in to the motherboard, the motherboard just comes with a installation cd for all the drivers needed. All I could think to try was just install it again, which I did, yet it just made things work, made 2 lots of everything in device manager and half with the yellow question marks. Luckily I created a restore point before this, so now I'm just back to where I started. Though when the computer was showing there was no network card at one point, it still did the 'system has recovered from a serious error', so I'm not sure if that may mean it's not the issue.

To MrCoffee's advice, please can you talk me through what I'd need to do/check, as I didnt understand. I was due to be moving tomorrow and it's not looking likely, I also REALLY didn't want to have to pay some overpriced home computer repair service but it's looking likely.

Ok Reinstalling your Mobo drivers is a good idea but you need to uninstall them first!!
if you have an Nvidia chipset then install the appropriate Nforce drivers otherwise go with the ones on your CD (not forgetting to uninstall you current drivers first!!).

Also try starting up in safe mode, if that works ok then thats another indicator that it might be a corrupt driver.

It does, INFACT, starting in safe mode, then back in normal mode, it stays stable, no error messages, it's only then when you turn the internet on that you see blue. And the errors are back.

But my problem with reinstalling drivers is that because the network card is built into the motherboard, the driver CD is like an 'all in one', you only have the choice of installing ALL motherboard drivers in one go, I've looked and can't find them individually (and tried doing update driver and pointing to the CD, which wouldn't work).

So how can I go about uninstalling and installing the driver???

EDIT:

The motherboard is an Abit uGuru AN8 Ultra if you know where to find drivers

uninstallnic.jpg

No I know finding them there, I meant the individual driver to be installed from the internet say (since on the CD, they are all combined).

ok I've looked and I believe your mobo has a Nforce chipset.

Are the drivers you've got on the CD Nforce drivers? ifso you can uninstall them from the "add remove programs" applet in the control panel. try looking for them there anyway if they're not Nforce.

When you reinstall use the latest Nforce driver from the nvidia website. http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp Nforce 4 series AMD.
Alternatively you could get them via ABIT ABIT
the Abit link is to version 6.67 and the Nvidia link is to version 6.86. this is probably just because ABIT haven't updated their link but it might be because they havent tested compatabilty past version 6.67... Take your pick.

Edit: Just to be clear Nforce drivers are a bundle for the whole chipset, including the network interface. I recommend you remove *all* your current chipset drivers and replace with the recent Nforce ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom