Getting rid of XP Pro...Installing XP Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpatters69

Baseband Member
Hello Folks,

I have an older Dell Dimension 8100 with Windows XP Pro. I have installed and removed a bunch of programs over time which are clogging up the registry and causing very long boot-ups. I would try and run registry cleaners but I think it would make more sense to re-install an OS. I have not reinstalled an OS in a few years so I am overdue. My other thought was I do not see the reason to have Windows XP Pro as it is a resource hog so I am planning to install Windows XP home which gives me all the functionality I need. I am a typical home user as I browse the Internet, use MS Apps and play games.

The specs on my machine are:

P4 1.3Mhz
Hard Disk C (Master): has the Windows XP Pro installed
Hard Disk D (Slave): has my apps and data (NTFS)
Two compact disk players. One is read/write

Since most of my apps/data is on hard disk D, I am pretty safe wiping hard disk c and installing XP Home. The only things I will check for are:

Explorer Favorites
Data that I misakenly placed on hard disk C

I am thinking the easiest way to install XP Home is to create a bootable CD so I can boot the PC from the compact disk. I just need to go into BIOS and make sure the PC checks the CD at boot up. I should get a DOS prompt and then I can place Windows XP home in the CD and proceed.

Now for the questions:

Does anyone have a program that will create CD that will recognize any CD?
Is there any incompatibility between NTFS and Windows XP home?
What is the best way to wipe/prepare hard disk C?
Any other suggestions or things that I have missed?

Thanks, Bill

Does anyone have a program that will create CD that will recognize any CD? Nero
Is there any incompatibility between NTFS and Windows XP home? No
What is the best way to wipe/prepare hard disk C? fdisk and then format

Thanks..... I did a check for Nero on Google. I see that Nero sells a bunch of CD\Video editing software. Is there an app for recognizing CDs at start up - as in booting up to a Dos type prompt? Thx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom