Conroe E6600 System for under $1k?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Building a $1,000 Core 2 Duo PC

I found this article when I was asking a similiar question.
This guy uses the E6600 for his chip and a rather pricey motherboard.... but you can mix/match parts to still fit within that $1000..... when you buy let me know because I am also trying to build a PC for under $1000

I was thinking conroe but since it has just come out, the motherboards arent not in high supply and a little pricey..... I might just go with a drop'd priced Athlon X2 ..... planning to spend around 300 for the CPU.

I'd probably go with a cheaper motherboard and 2gb of ram instead of what that guy built. If I can't transfer my WinXP, I may go Linux.

I have the same copy of windows XP installed on several HDs. They don't check it. I don't think it strictly legal, but hey microsoft sucks enough money out of us.

With the windows xp, i rencently just did that same thing with my computers. But i've had it do two different ways. A) If will let you activate it nothing is needed, just update as you normally would. B) It will not let you activate it becasue the key was in use. And all you have to do is call windows and let them know your situation, assuming everything is legit, the key and all. Just tell them your taking the windows key off a broken computer you are no longer using and putting it on your new one.

With the computer build however, if your not planning to do any gaming i would sink more money into ram than anything else, unless you need alot of storage. I would expect to pay something anywhere from $150-250 for the ram and $150-200 for the mobo. Here are some good options.

mobo - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131030

ram - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231073

agreed. To fully utilize a dual core processor you need alot of ram. Get at least 2 gigs.

uthscsa19 said:
I'd probably go with a cheaper motherboard and 2gb of ram instead of what that guy built. If I can't transfer my WinXP, I may go Linux.

yea that motherboard is what kinda dettered me from getting a conroe.... i know they are cheaper ones but i want the same quality and price as if i was getting an athlon64 x2 with an AM2 motherboard

that's truee stees, but just becasue the mobo is cheap doesn't mean its a bad motherboard. for my 64 3200+ i went with a cheap abit motherboard, probably set me back $80? it ran my computer better, cooler, and more efficent than my new asus which cost $150. the only reason i went with the asus is becasue it had sata and more overclocking abilities.

yea i think overclocking ability is one the major factors in pricing
before i would just think about the features/specs

I will want to overclock, but since Im waiting until early Oct. to buy, I am sure their will be several Mobo reviewed for their overclocking ability. I hope the prices go down abit aswell on the mobo's. For the mobo, I am looking to pay between 100-150 if possible.

yeah thats gonna be a stretch to catch a mobo for that price at the moment. Im sure within a couple of months prices will drop. Asus however is pretty well known for overclocking ability from what i hear. i have two asus's and both are extremely easy and good overclockers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom