New PC Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPI

Baseband Member
Hello there, My computer broke and I'm in need of a new one. I'm not very good with hardware and whatnot.
So I'd love some input/feedback of the setup I have chosen for the barebone of my PC.

What I will use it for:
Animation course at Uni. At the moment I run, Macromedia Flash and Photoshop as my main programs (often in conjunction, hence the dual core), but will also be using Maya 3D animation program as various other intensive programs in need of a great PC.

The Setup:
CPU - Intel Pentium D 950 Dual Core 3.40GHz FSB 800 2 X 2mb LGA 775
MOBO - Asus P5WD2-E Premium 975 x LGA 775 2 X PCI-E 16x - This is expensive :'(
RAM - 2 x Kingston Value Ram 1GB 533MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL4 DIMM
PSU - Antec SmartPower 2.0 400W PSU - Atx 2.01 Dual Rails
Note: I am using Ebuyer as a reference but will probably buy it elsewhere.

I've focused on the CPU as a base, and built up from that.
I don't mind either Intel or AMD, but for me the Intel seemed better value for money (Oh, and I won't be overclocking, just btw).

I havn't allocated money for a graphics card, however prehaps it might be needed. I was just going with the words on the sticky:
"I am not going to be gaming"
Good for you. You just saved yourself a couple hundred bucks on not buying a video card.

What do you think? Anything you think is bad, or if I chose things that don't fit together :D LOL!?

Many thanks,

- James

EDIT: Oh, and please note, I have a copy of windows and harddrive along with optical drives from my old PC.

b1gapl said:
I suggest you get a Conroe for the CPU because they're out now.

Seems interesting, although... it may be hard to find.
When was it released?

Sorry for the newbish question... but what is the difference between a Intel Core Duo and Intel Core 2 Duo?

JPI said:
Seems interesting, although... it may be hard to find.
When was it released?

Sorry for the newbish question... but what is the difference between a Intel Core Duo and Intel Core 2 Duo?

actually they are not out now. they are onbackorder now. they dont actually ship until the 7th. but yes the core 2 duo is the conroe while the core duo is old stuff.

but i also recomend the conroe. order it now so you have your place inline. but if you do go conroe i suggest the e6600. no lower. because if you go any lowerthen the e6600 you get allendale cor eand not the conroe core.

massacreinfallx said:
actually they are not out now. they are onbackorder now. they dont actually ship until the 7th. but yes the core 2 duo is the conroe while the core duo is old stuff.

Ok, It seemed a little like a quad at first :eek:

I can wait till the 7th. I was reading about it, and this chip seems to kick *** against the AMD 64 x2. I hope this is the right choice (as isn't toooo expensive :p)

JPI said:
Ok, It seemed a little like a quad at first :eek:

I can wait till the 7th. I was reading about it, and this chip seems to kick *** against the AMD 64 x2. I hope this is the right choice (as isn't toooo expensive :p)

actually its an excelent choice. for the money (i got mine shipped to my door for 340)

it scores better benchmarks than the fx-62

but if i were you i would preorderjust to garuntee you get one.

massacreinfallx said:
because if you go any lowerthen the e6600 you get allendale cor eand not the conroe core.

KK, noted :D
What is the RRP on the 6600? I was checking the UK shop and they only have the 6800 for £775 :eek:

massacreinfallx said:
(i got mine shipped to my door for 340)
but if i were you i would preorderjust to garuntee you get one.

I hope that was dollars :p

And noted again.

Thanks, any reccomendations for a mobo compatable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom