Help buying a laptop!

Status
Not open for further replies.

prometheus66

Solid State Member
Im looking at buying a laptop for school. Ill be using it for internet, word/excel, and i was hoping for CAD software like solidworks or wildfire. Ive been looking at Dell because they seemed to be cheapest this is what i have configured:

Inspiron 1505
1.86ghz core duo
1 gig ram
120 gb 5400rpm or 60 gb 7200rpm (worth it to get faster one?)
128 mb graphics card
2yr warranty
all for about 800 (which is about my limit)

What do you think? are there better deals out there? Should i wait til merom is being shipped? I sort of like the 2 year warranty because i know of one of my friends had to have is screen replaced in his laptop twice, but it was all under warranty.

EDIT: I also looked at the 1405 which is smaller with the same price and same config but without a graphics card. I would sort of like a smaller laptop, what do you think?

Dell isn't recommended for laptops, but if you must get them, go ahead...

A notebook shouldn't have a faster hard drive, because it's enclosed so tightly, that if it spins too fast, it could damage the notebook. The price seems right as well. I wouldn't go for a laptop without a graphics card ,because the CAD software looks pretty demanding.

What other brands do you recommend? Is there any other brand that i can get the same specs for the same price?

I have a Dell Inspiron 1000 and it gets the job done very well for me. Never had any problems with it and it's been through an entire year of college so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom