mixing memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlucool

Baseband Member
Is mixing memory types a bad thing?
Currently I have: OCZ Gold Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Dual Channel Kit System Memory
For vista/to speed up my computer in general I am going to upgrade to 3-4GB of ram. If I did three I would buy 2x1GB. Would this slow down my ram by mixing types? I was told that for duel channel to operate I need an even number of sticks, but they were not sure if I mixed memory types if it would still work. Also must I get the same speed ram or will faster ram speed up my computer? My solution is if 3GB does not work out get 4x1GB sticks of the same type, but I would rather save the money.

My computers main parts are the following:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Integrated into Chip FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor

MSI K8N Neo4-F Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard

OCZ Gold Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Dual Channel Kit System Memory

eVGA 256-P2-N528-AX Geforce 7800GTX 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-500 500W Power Supply

Western Digital Raptor 74GB 3.5" Serial ATA150 Hard Drive

So what advice do you all have for ram?

even with 2GB of memory can I mix types? add another 2x512? I hear vista is a mega ram hog so I was thinking 3GB.

2gb is plenty.

Or..if you want room to upgrade in the future...sell your 2 x 512mb and buy some 2 x 1gb sticks....and in the future if you feel you need more...you can go to 4 gb

Ok thanks all. Does the timing need to be the same (in order to make it run most efficently)? And if i have PC3200 can I get 2x512 of PC4000? Will that be faster/work well?

If I dont have the old specs, is there a way I can see my current memory specs? Do I have to open up my computer and look on the sticks? Or is there preferable a way to see it without opening it up?

Get what ever RAM you want, as long as it has the same pin count. There will be no stability issues from going different brands, speeds or timmings. Although your RAM will run at the slowest sticks speed - which is not a problem.

Vista runs great with my 1.5gb's (2x 512 and 2x 256 in dual channel) and gaming is fine with it as long as there is no background tasks happening - which is not a problem for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom