Kerio Firewall possibly related, strange behaviour from PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

teddyn

Baseband Member
Hi there everyone,

I think I've got a problem in that my PC which will occasionally take ages to launch a program. For instance, Age of Empires 3, when I recently tried to launch it, took a good 5-10 minutes to launch the splash screen, before proceeding normally. Other things like the IrfanView installation took an age for the installation process to start up as well, only for it to afterwards carry on normally. RegCleaner, which is already installed, won't even start up. With IrfanView and AoE3, though, it started up when eventually my firewall, Kerio Personal Firewall, came up with the 'permit' screen after the very long wait. So basically, I think something's up.
I suspect the firewall, but when I tried uninstalling it for ZoneAlarm, it wouldn't complete isntallation, saying that there was a problem of some sort and that I wasn't able to access it. I couldn't uninstall manually either! I tried exiting the firewall beforehand, but it simply doesn't do anything when I click 'exit' on the right-click menu.

All help appreciated :confused:

load up in safe mode to remove kerio.

Kerio is rather hardcore, doing much more than a firewall should, and can cause all sorts of problems.
Are you running a trial? if so is it a recent one?

Also what antivirus are you running? Kerio causes problems with some.

Hey, thanks for the reply-
I'm using the Free Edition of 'Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall 4'... for anti-virus I'm using 'avast!'.
I will now uninstall in safe mode; thanks for the tip!

Well, I've just tried uninstalling in safe mode but no luck; it came up with the message 'Windows Installer could not be accessed. This can happen if you are running windows in safe mode'.... :'(
:S

remove kerio from your startup programs then kill it on reboot.

type "msconfig" in a run box and unckeck any enteries related to kerio under the startup tab.

If it won't uninstall through windows installer then you may need to remove it manually and then scrub the registry but that will leave DLLs knocking around.

Aaah, the msconfig disabling worked. I've now uninstalled it and installed zonealarm. The problems left with kerio.
Another thing came up though- after installing zonealarm, avast! came up with a message saying that a feature had to be disabled because of a compatability issue with zonealarm. Anyone have experience of this and know what specifically was lost? It was some kind of web shadow proxy or something...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom