Parts for a New Computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nihsnek

Baseband Member
Hey all,

I am starting to build basic computers for friends, family, etc.

My first customer would like something cheap compared to HP/Dell etc., but the same "bang". She does not game nor do any heavy work(such as video editing, etc).

Something around 400-600ish would be fine, as long as it runs, and will run for awhile. She doesn't need any fancy video card, sound card, or an $1k processor.

Being my very first time building a PC, I was wondering if someone could help me out here. So to stay, get me started. Recommend a motherboard, PSU, case, whatever, will help greatly. I've decided to use Newegg.com as a main place to buy my parts, since there service/price is pretty good. I'll probably also need to buy a copy of Windows XP Professional to go along, so count that in.

This is an estimate of what she does, versus what she wants.

------------------She does -------------------
E-Mails, Word documents, Quicken...also, she uses AOL Dial-Up, so a modem is a requirement.

------------------She wants-------------------
2GB RAM(is it really needed for what she's doing?)
Long lasting PC, hopefully having no hardware problems.

That's about it...I'm not asking for people to build the computer, just give me some suggestions, good, cheap, hardware...

-Thanks, Nih

theres no way she need 2GB of ram...

512 MB, 1 GB at the most if all shes doing is email and surfing. ESPECIALLY with dial up

Alright, that's what I thought too.

Does anyone have a good motherboard that they would like to share with me? I've been looking around, reading some reviews, etc., but to be honest I don't know a decent one thats cheap.

Asus has good reliable mobo's. Id go with a 64-bit system. Heres what i recommend...

Socket 939 Mobo with nforce 4 chipset (Asus, MSI, DFI)
Amd athlon Venice 3000+
a stick of 512 ram pc3200 (Corsiar value ram will work fine)
Cheap case around $50-$60 bucks w/ 350 watt power supply (Antec, Aspire Turbo Case)
Find a $30 or higher video card
$40, 80 gig SATA 2 harddrive
cheap modem should be pretty close to like $10 or so

If you price it right and stick close to those specs it will give her a very nice set up, and it will be very up to date for a long while. Also it will be very cheap possibly way under your budget and thats always good for your customers. More satisfied customers means more business my friend. :)

Dude the best bang for you buck is the Tforce 6100-939.Your prob not gonna OC but i have a OPTY. 146 at 2.9GHZ.So this board is very stable and cheap! The onboard video is good enough for CS:S.Umm the only thing i hear about that board is the LAN port going out.$12 is a back up PCI ethernet card.Umm 3200+ venice with 512mb OCZ premier, good quality low price.Cheaper than dell but 100x the quality.
Umm 80gb western Digital HDD for about $50.$30 PSU. That is your best bet for a low budget PC.

Or $30 plain black case with PSU.And DFi is not needed for a office computer.Also that on-board is plently and there is no reason for a GFX card for what she doing. Ohh didnt see she uses Dial up only so you get a Dial-up PCI card.Dude 2GB is pointless 512mb is perfect or maybe 1gb which is still to much for what she is doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom