Win XP Pro Help !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechzap

Solid State Member
Long story short : Got a new computer and did a fresh install of XP Pro as I prefer it to XP Home. I now have 2 problems :

1: I did the install without any issues however when I rebooted it asked me to select XP Pro or XP home as the OS. So I reinserted the XP Pro disc to recheck and see if I had accidentally partitioned the drive and was running 2 OS's ; I am not.

However there are 3 items in the list, the formated section that has XP Pro on it and 2 smaller ones 8 meg and 39 meg respectively that are unassigned. How can I consolidate them?

Now I get it asking me to install xp pro everytime I reboot in addition to asking me if I want to run Home or Pro. How do I remove the choices and make the damn thing boot properly?

2: While getting myself in this mess I am unable to install a driver for the Sm Bus Controller..the file for the damn thing is a floppy disc image ! How can I get the driver off it and install it? I ordered my new system without a floppy like a dumbass..any possible way I can get it burned to a cd?

Thanks for helping this dumbass out,

:D

how abt reformatting ur entire drives again? hmm abt the partitioning part, im sure u can combine them back again and ive forgotten how to do it sorrie

and steal a floppy from an old computer you have lying around, or borrow one from a friend, or you can buy one for $10 lol

first when you do the install what you need to do is delete parttitions and make new
cuz if you leave and install over existing o/s you'll always have somthing left over the old parttitions
check everything before you install and follow the instruccions
but you must erase all parttitions first to have a clean install

I did delete ALL the partitions, there are 2 unnamed/unassigned/blank areas on the disc. One is 8 Meg and one is 39 Megs.

The real problem is that when I reloaded XP Pro to check the partitions it now asks me everytime I boot what I want to do: Finish the install of XP, Load XP Home( which does not exsist), Or load XP Pro. How can I make that go away?

The last time I did a clean install off this disc it asked me that once then never again.

Try using delpart instead of Fdsik to get rid of the partitions if that doesnt work you could always do the low level format(get the software from your hard drives vendor) while this takes forever and a day it will wipe out and and all left over information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom